Made the right choice?

In my opinion:

YES! A great beginning book! This is one of the first ones I read, and even though it's quite old, almost everything in it is still in practice today. It'll teach you about the action axis/screen direction, how different framings/compositions affect the viewer psychologically, and what they convey (low angle vs. high angle, etc.). . .those are the things that stuck with me (I can't even remember what the 5 C's are off hand. . .close ups, cutting, continuity, something and something), but yes, good choice.

Also try reading a variety of different books on cinematography to get a broader understanding of the subject. There is likely some old film making books in your local library. Check out photography books too as this will help with the technical aspects of cinematography.

It's a $20 book. Is it really that big an investment that you need reassurance about buying it?

$20 is a lot of money for some people (like me and a million other working-class people in the U.S.), but my guess is that his concern was more about whether the book would have good content or not.

$20 is a lot of money for some people

Filmmaking is probably the wrong hobby for such people. You can't waste $20 on a book, how you gonna make a movie?

my guess is that his concern was more about whether the book would have good content or not.

Seems to me that's a decision best left to the reader after reading the book. Or at least, best asked before buying it.

Filmmaking is probably the wrong hobby for such people. You can't waste $20 on a book, how you gonna make a movie?

Seems to me that's a decision best left to the reader after reading the book. Or at least, best asked before buying it.

Well, Jim

Last time I checked you weren't the authority on which hobby belongs to who. From my own personal experience I'm pretty sure that that ,throughout the course of history, has been left up to the individual not the masses. If you think this post was aimless then why comment on it? How could you'r reply have any relevance if my this entire post (to you) has none? I think Jim need to FIND a hobby... and leave those alone who are trying to delevop theirs.

Sorry I DON'T have a lot of money and thanks to everyone who accually helped I look forward to the new reading material.

• Premium Member

Compared to other aspects of filmmaking, books are pretty cheap! I bought dozens just as a beginner, many of them used.

Here is a snapshot of one of my bookshelves of film books (I have another bookshelf's worth in addition to these):

books.jpg

Half of these were bought when I was a beginner. I think my used copy of the Hitchcock-Traffaut book still has the $1.00 sticker on it. If you're interested in a subject, nothing is going to keep you away from books on it. I spent many hours at libraries, and I still do (when I'm not prowling bookstores.) I read my copy of "Masters of Light" so many times I had to buy a new one, I wore out the first one. And my copy of Agel's "Making of 2001" is held together with tape.

And this doesn't include my boxes of film magazines.

• Premium Member

On the subject of books. I've got a second copy of Box's "Set Lighting Technician's Handbook", Third Edition. It's a bit dog-eared but perfectly readable. $15 + media mail to a newbie or student.

Compared to other aspects of filmmaking, books are pretty cheap! I bought dozens just as a beginner, many of them used.

Here is a snapshot of one of my bookshelves of film books (I have another bookshelf's worth in addition to these):

books.jpg

Half of these were bought when I was a beginner. I think my used copy of the Hitchcock-Traffaut book still has the $1.00 sticker on it. If you're interested in a subject, nothing is going to keep you away from books on it. I spent many hours at libraries, and I still do (when I'm not prowling bookstores.) I read my copy of "Masters of Light" so many times I had to buy a new one, I wore out the first one. And my copy of Agel's "Making of 2001" is held together with tape.

And this doesn't include my boxes of film magazines.

Nice collection! I see alot of books with the work "Kubrick" in the title.