LOOKING FOR DP

Guest juan kostar

I do see what you're saying- and I agree with you that well crafted projects will, with few exceptions, require experienced crews crafting them. But, before anyone works on paying jobs in the industry, they need to get a foothold in the basics, and that's usually on freebies. I would argue that cutting your teeth on pro-bono jobs are a natural part of one's career. In rereading, I'm wondering if we're not saying the same thing, but just slanting our focus to opposite sides of the spectrum?

Seriously, I would take the job. I can't wait to actually be hired rather than creating work for myself.

Although I don't own a HD camera I'd probably be their best bet.

Hey, I understand! I still do loads of freebies, but at least people are nice about it when they ask for a favour. I just hate it when people just expect you to work for free.

Ha, this post reminds me of Shooting People - so many adverts "cameraman wanted, lo/no-pay, must have own HD equipment" or "steadicam operator wanted, no pay, will provide you with DVD of finished film - must have own equipment" !!!!

I think the temptation to work for free has to be motivated by something genuine, either a great script/intriguing idea or a shooting format that will enable to advance ones experience - like shooting 35mm.

What is the point in shooting something for free on DV or a format you own equipment for, when you can do that yourself - unless of course the idea is good or something else about the production is appealing.

Bizarrely I occasionally get requests through Shooting People for people who are planning to shoot features on DV, I'd be very happy to do it and for no pay, as it would give me an experience shooting a feature myself - however often the scripts are so poor that its not even worth considering.

Guest Derek Johnson

Tough room.

I'm going to tread VERY LIGHTLY on this subject since I myself am a low budget Producer/Director who asked for help on this board and others. I frequent this board because I want a greater knowledge of lighting. Here's my take:

To the original poster:

1) The craigslist comment might have been a joke... but he's right. I've gotten plenty of help there, folks who want experience or up-and-commers might want something for a reel. I'm assuming you are genuine and didn't mean to insult anyone... but the working pros here have heard this request before.

2) If you want people to work for free, it better be a damn cool project. "Short Subject" is not enough to sell. Tell people about the project and you might get some help.

3) Even if it's cool... You HAVE to pay a guy with his own gear. You just gotta. He's a working professional and/or paid a ton for specialized equipement. A guy who owns his own gear cuts down your equipment budget plus he's experienced in using it. He's worth it. Pay 'em!

4) If you find that you still can't get help, but want experienced help (not PROS) for your "short subject".... there's really only one thing you can do. You will have to crew up on others people "short subjects"... for free... and network amongst the crew.

Once you crew up on a few freebies, you will appreciate the hardwork and sacrifice you are asking others to do. It is HARD WORK! You will find out that soon enough that you want good food. You'll want it to be an interesting project. You want it to advance your career or learning. And you'll want all this and more upfront before you move a muscle. Now imagine how interested you'd be if some producer says, "By the way... we need you to bring your camera!"

My advice to you is to bust your hump on other people's projects, have a good attitude, and make some friends. Tell them about you project. I found an experienced DP that way who helped me my own music video project.

Still had to pay 'em though. But he cut down his rate for me.

Good luck

Hey, I understand! I still do loads of freebies, but at least people are nice about it when they ask for a favour. I just hate it when people just expect you to work for free.

Sounds like great fun. I'm going to look for jobs when I go to Sixth Form College this September. I'll probably start charing when I'm about 20.

Love your work. You're bound to make it. :)

I do see what you're saying- and I agree with you that well crafted projects will, with few exceptions, require experienced crews crafting them. But, before anyone works on paying jobs in the industry, they need to get a foothold in the basics, and that's usually on freebies. I would argue that cutting your teeth on pro-bono jobs are a natural part of one's career. In rereading, I'm wondering if we're not saying the same thing, but just slanting our focus to opposite sides of the spectrum?

Hey you get what you pay for, in the end.

Oh and one other piece of advice our original poster and anyone else in his position can take with a grain of salt: if your Second (or anyone else like him/her in any department) has half a brain, shows up to the prep to learn the job and puts in 14 hours of helping to lug a 100 pound camera around on something he may never see, throw the poor bastard a bone and kick him/her down 50 bucks a day, would ya?