Bolex El Battery Question

Kip Kubin

Hello Bolex experts out there.

I just got my EL in the mail from eBay... as usual it was sitting in someones closet for years.

It came with a manual and I've searched this forum but still no answer.

How do you tell when and if the battery is fully charged using the Bolex regular charger?

How can you tell if it holds a charge well... please describe the symptoms of a bad battery.

The ones that came with the cam only run for a short while and the camera dosen't run that well on them either.

I just want to know there shot before I buy a battery belt and an adapter to use with the EL as described in other posts.

Thanks,

Kip Kubin

Hello Bolex experts out there.

I just got my EL in the mail from eBay... as usual it was sitting in someones closet for years.

It came with a manual and I've searched this forum but still no answer.

How do you tell when and if the battery is fully charged using the Bolex regular charger?

How can you tell if it holds a charge well... please describe the symptoms of a bad battery.

The ones that came with the cam only run for a short while and the camera dosen't run that well on them either.

I just want to know there shot before I buy a battery belt and an adapter to use with the EL as described in other posts.

Thanks,

Kip Kubin

Hi Kip

Ni-Cads need a good 14-16 hour charge if that does not work then I would say they are past their best.

Regards

Don

My particular bolex charger says it can keep charging forever and it wont damage the battery... I use it often and have gone through many 400' reels without charge and its yet to run out on me in the field ...

I'd be a bit concerned with your "and the camera dosen't run that well on them either" comment, I was under the impression that once the voltage dropped below a certain point a comparator circuit would switch off the functionality of the camera - this way it would run fine then stop (there is a warning light on the back that would trip a little beforehand) - there would be no random odd things happening that way...

a long way of saying - a bad battery simply wont work.. or will for a very short amount of time - but no 'running down' would be noticed - its either on or off (and the low batt warning light) ...

What exactly is happening ? do you have a link to the eBay auction ?

oh, and welcome to Team Bolex!

My particular bolex charger says it can keep charging forever and it wont damage the battery... I use it often and have gone through many 400' reels without charge and its yet to run out on me in the field ...

I'd be a bit concerned with your "and the camera dosen't run that well on them either" comment, I was under the impression that once the voltage dropped below a certain point a comparator circuit would switch off the functionality of the camera - this way it would run fine then stop (there is a warning light on the back that would trip a little beforehand) - there would be no random odd things happening that way...

a long way of saying - a bad battery simply wont work.. or will for a very short amount of time - but no 'running down' would be noticed - its either on or off (and the low batt warning light) ...

What exactly is happening ? do you have a link to the eBay auction ?

oh, and welcome to Team Bolex!

I'll do some better tests. I'm used to cranking my friends bolex so the batteries are a new world to me.

I have a feeling that my frame rate dial is off... when 20fps is selected it shoots single frame??? Not too much of a problem, now, as I bought the camera for a stop motion project.

Nick, Where is a good place to have the camera serviced. After the stop motion project I want to bump it up to super 16.

I'll keep fiddleing with the cam today.

Kip

OK...

With one of the batteries, what you said does happen... It will run for a very short time 2-3 seconds and the red light goes on and the camera shuts off.

With the other battery the camera runs longer but 10-15 seconds and then the motor slows and stops with no red light comming on.

So, that's a bit confusing.

Nick, Where is a good place to have the camera serviced.

Kip

OK...

With one of the batteries, what you said does happen... It will run for a very short time 2-3 seconds and the red light goes on and the camera shuts off.

With the other battery the camera runs longer but 10-15 seconds and then the motor slows and stops with no red light comming on.

So, that's a bit confusing.

Nick, Where is a good place to have the camera serviced.

Kip

Youch - sounds odd yes ...

serviced ? hmmm no idea - where are you ? the best place would be at the Bolex factory in Switzerland whilst its being super16'ed

the 20 fps being single frame is scary also - someone has been fiddling! - you need a small allen key to pull out a grub screw that holds the switch in place against a flat 'keyed' shaft (I forget the proper term) - easy, once you have the right allen key, do not use a key that is too small as you will strip the grub screw and whoever needs to get access to the internals for your conversion/repair will have to drill it off - yuck!

I've done one EL super16 conversion myself - and have another lined up soon and might start up as a business sideline - want to get a few under my belt before I advertise though, also to see how long it takes me so I can price accordingly ...

As for repair though, it could mean accessing the motor which is a much more elaborate intervention than is required for super16 conversion - conversion is like laser eye surgury compared to the potential heart transplant of fixing your problem. ...

Hopefully it wont be so bad! Have a search for the couple of threads re. EL batteries that have popped up recently, make your own and see how your camera runs with that.