This year's NFTS applicants.. any news on interviews?

Hi guys, I applied this year for the MA cinematography course and I'm curious whether anybody got an invitation for the interview yet? will they inform you even if you don't get a shot at the interview?

Hi Mike,

this is the second year I've applied and I've heard nothing yet - I reckon by now (end June) I musn't have gotten an interview as they are held in July and they surely would want to give a fair amount of notice as it's a 3 day workshop - last year I did get a letter telling me I had not been successful and no - not sure when it came as I was working out of the country and it was directed to my parents house.

Jacqueline

Hi Mike,

this is the second year I've applied and I've heard nothing yet - I reckon by now (end June) I musn't have gotten an interview as they are held in July and they surely would want to give a fair amount of notice as it's a 3 day workshop - last year I did get a letter telling me I had not been successful and no - not sure when it came as I was working out of the country and it was directed to my parents house.

Jacqueline

Hey Jacqueline,

I've emailed the addmissions office and they told me, that at the end of the month they'd be sending out the letters as they are still looking through all the

applications. I wish you all the best then! Thumbs up :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mike,

I got my letter - rejected again. How about you?

Far from being discouraged, I feel invigoured to work even harder this year on continuing to learn the craft, i will apply again next year, but there are so many routes into this career that I'm looking for every opportunity I can find to work and apply my skills.

Hope your news was good, if not - just keep doing what you love the most and you'll succeed somehow.

Jacqueline

Out of curiosity - how much actual on-set experience did you guys have when you applied for NFTS MA Cinematography? How many short films have you worked on (directed, DP'ed on, camera assisting, grip) and what have you shot on? I'm only asking because I am thinking about applying next year and would like to know what my chances are given my experience...? Have you guys already had prior experience in lighting sets (studio and on locations)?

I've directed 2 silly short films (with 6-8 person crews working with me), shot another two - one on 16mm and one on BetaSP and have been crewing as camera assistant on a few other ones. Have also done sound recording and boom swinging. Been a photographer for 2 years doing news pictures for agencies. Think I would stand a chance?

Hi,

Don't worry about experience as really it is only your work that counts. Some people with loads of experience get accepted whereas other who don't have as much get accepted as well because of their talent. Just give it a shot, you never can tell...it all depends on whether the tutors see something they like in your work.

Hey Mike,

I got my letter - rejected again. How about you?

Far from being discouraged, I feel invigoured to work even harder this year on continuing to learn the craft, i will apply again next year, but there are so many routes into this career that I'm looking for every opportunity I can find to work and apply my skills.

Hope your news was good, if not - just keep doing what you love the most and you'll succeed somehow.

Jacqueline

Hello Jacqueline!

I got my letter too and unfortunately I got rejected too, so we're in this together :)

I'll be trying to apply somewhere else at the end of the year.

All the best and wishing you luck in your endeavors!

Mike