16mm in the air

Victor M

Having video only background, the turns of life made me get into the film world. I remember an early post of mine in this forum (some 3 years ago) looking for a small 16mm camera, small enough to be operated from a remote controlled helicopter, tried many until i found the right one.

Now im totally enloved with film!

Here there are some camera tests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtzaWd_nGrg

and shot this ad with it (only aerials the rest is 35mm):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d000CLrzsGo

Having video only background, the turns of life made me get into the film world. I remember an early post of mine in this forum (some 3 years ago) looking for a small 16mm camera, small enough to be operated from a remote controlled helicopter, tried many until i found the right one.

Now im totally enloved with film!

Hi Victor

Very nice, what camera did you use ? I have seen modified 35 mm Eymo's used here in UK.

Regards

Don

Hi Victor

Very nice, what camera did you use ? I have seen modified 35 mm Eymo's used here in UK.

Regards

Don

Hello Don, thanks.

Yes, i have also seen some 35 eyemos modified for this use, in my case it is a g.s.a.p. with many mods.

Regards

Edited by Victor M

Hello Don, thanks.

Yes, i have also seen some 35 eyemos modified for this use, in my case it is a g.s.a.p. with many mods.

Regards

Hi Victor

Thanks for reply what sort of flying time do you get at 48FPS and have you managed to get video assist as well or are you flying blind.

Don

Hi Victor

Thanks for reply what sort of flying time do you get at 48FPS and have you managed to get video assist as well or are you flying blind.

Don

Hi Victor

Forget the bit on Video assist have just seen your site, Very nice setup

Regards

Don

WOW that is amazing!

Hi Don,

Shooting 48fps gives you about 40 seconds of total recording time per cartridge, 24fps of course about twice that time, there is a little less time in both speeds since i shoot a little before and after to be sure the camera is running well and reaching the end of the magazine i always leave a couple of seconds unexposed just in case. These cameras runs on 24v, i power them with custom made 1500mah Nimh packs (20 cells), which gives lots of running time. I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Kevin,

Alan Szabo is one of the best remote controlled acrobatic (known as ¨3D¨ style) pilots in the world. Ive heard that he is hired sometimes by a company in the US which also does aerial motion film using remote controlled helicopters. Im also helicopter pilot myself (i design and build the machines) but i dont pilot the helicopters during work, im the man behind the tri axis gimball and camera.

Dmitry,

The production company produced and shot the story in a very appealing way, i also like the commercial very much. Thank you.

Kevin,

We were hired only to shoot the aerials, so we were assigned to that specific shots not knowing what the other unit was doing. We flew every shot according to the storyboard and the directors vision, we exchanged ideas and discussed options to take the most out of the coptercam since that company never worked with a system like ours.

We never seen a real pigeon! it is all CG composited over our plates. We shot also other locations which were not included in the final version, so sad because we had a couple more really nice :(

Victor, Buenisimo este artefacto, tambien tu fotografia, Ya me estas dando muchaas ideas para mi proxima pelicula .... estare en contacto

Martin,

Como va eso? Me alegro mucho que te haya gustado. Con gusto pegame un llamado o mail cuando quieras. Exitos en lo tuyo por los US.

Te mando un abrazo.