Jane Eyre (1944)

• Premium Member

A complete about-face from "The Parallax View"...

I love old b&w movies, especially the moodier ones. Growing up and watching TV, old films like "Jane Eyre" or "Wuthering Heights" affected my view of what England looked like -- it's really the Gothic England of the imagination, the way it should have looked, not the reality.

I like the use of painted backdrops and visual effects to create this unreal landscape with its oppressive mood. George Barnes was a master at this sort of lush, shadowy look -- "Rebecca" is his other great film for lighting. He also trained Gregg Toland.

janeeyre1.jpg

janeeyre2.jpg

janeeyre3.jpg

janeeyre4.jpg

janeeyre5.jpg

• Premium Member
Beautiful... I too remember watching it on TV some years ago. The second picture is uber-gorgeous. How did they do the sky? Red filter?

Well, it's an efx composite to my eyes, but the sky element was probably shot with a red filter, though actually in that sort of heavy storm cloud formation, the red isn't doing a whole lot because of the lack of blue mixed in there, but it does help create a little more separation.

• Premium Member
They do look fascinating. I'm not too sure what I think of the moody film-noir type look, though. I prefer a more glossy look to my monochrome. But cinematography means different things to different people.

Surely, Matthew, you pick the style to suit the material, you just don't apply your favorite looks to everything regardless of the content. You don't use a glossy look when a glossy look isn't what the story calls for.