Leaving town for a shoot

• Premium Member

Don't have many details yet, but I leave town on Sunday night (red-eye) for a feature shooting around Hoboken, NJ next door to New York City. It's tenatively called "The Sophmore", set in a high school. It's sort of a comedic political mystery. Four weeks of prep and then I start shooting in early August.

David.

Good luck on your prep. I was wondering...and I am sure it has been different - but how does it usually work with the DP's contract...do you usually get signed on and work a day rate for prep or is that tied into a flat rate for the film, etc. I know in the indy world in Utah we usually get a flat rate for the film and then additional for post, etc. How have you seen it work early in your career and how has that changed?

I hope this question is o.k. to ask and of course feel free to not answer if it is too intrusive of a question.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Wow, you get paid for post...

Since everything is done with time sheets through a payroll company, I fill them out during prep for whatever was offered me in my deal -- let's say hypothetically it's three weeks of prep, which usually means 5-day weeks, so 15 days, 8-hours per day. Time sheets are turned in weekly. Then when you start shooting, you put down your actual working hours daily so you get overtime, etc. So prep is sort of a "flat" rate though it is still broken down into a hourly for accounting purposes, plus it's how the union calculates things.

Hey David,

I live in Hoboken. Shoot me an e mail if you need anything or If I see you walking around town, I'll just say hello.

Who are you using as crew? Grip, electric, assistants?

Best

Tim

• 2 weeks later...