Alright basically I just wanted to ask, is the Canon HV20 better than the Panasonic DVX100b?

price regardless just like if they were the same price, which would be the better choice and why?

Hi Tommy, well i feel your question is too open..., because you're comparing SD vs HDV, i think you better star thinking of what is your final support (DVD, TV, Film, etc) with this information you can choose what it will be your best choice... Personal i find Panasonic DVX100B the best choice i find this camera more "professional" than Canon HV20, the only plus i found about canon HV20 was the resolution (HDV)... that it...

Panasonic DVX100B have more custom option, about GAMMA, KNEE, SHUTTER, ETC..., Better lens, a real progressive mode, about 400 ASA (even more) depends your settings... inputs XLR definitely more professional camera. The only thing about DVX100B is there's not HDV camera, if you have more budget perhaps you can convert your DVX100B check this http://www.reel-stream.com/

Hi Tommy, well i feel your question is too open..., because you're comparing SD vs HDV, i think you better star thinking of what is your final support (DVD, TV, Film, etc) with this information you can choose what it will be your best choice... Personal i find Panasonic DVX100B the best choice i find this camera more "professional" than Canon HV20, the only plus i found about canon HV20 was the resolution (HDV)... that it...

Panasonic DVX100B have more custom option, about GAMMA, KNEE, SHUTTER, ETC..., Better lens, a real progressive mode, about 400 ASA (even more) depends your settings... inputs XLR definitely more professional camera. The only thing about DVX100B is there's not HDV camera, if you have more budget perhaps you can convert your DVX100B check this http://www.reel-stream.com/

mm well I guess just standard. I've seen comparison footage and I can't tell the diff. I really hope I don't waste like almost 1500 grand on basically nothing. Is the DVX worth the extra money basically?

I'm sure the DP and gaffers here will be better able to discuss this, but I believe that the camera itself isn't as important as the skill, talent and experience of the people involved. Just point and shoot HDV is better than SD - but only slightly. No camera is a waste of money if you want to make movies. As you get better, you can upgrade. But there is SO much more to making a good movie than the camera.

I know that doesn't really answer your question - but it's an almost impossible question to answer. I think I would buy the cheaper camera and use the money I save to make several more movies.

There's no point in buying either of those cameras, because RED is going to make all other cameras obsolete. Haven't you heard? :lol:

But fer real, what is your impression of each camera? What is your need, and what level of experience do you have to make use of each camera's strengths? Remember that old racing adage, the most important part in a race car is the nut behind the wheel.

All the above opions are quite valid

a- the dvx 100 is quite the feature-rich cam for it's price,,, no doughbt about it

b- if your shooting 60i and try to compare the dvx100 with another DECENT - LESS EXPENSIVE cam, then of course it's gonna look the same it's 60i ... PERIOD... Granted it's a better 60i from a better machine but in the end your still shooting a soap-opera-like footage.

c- This one's important !! the first thing that we come to grips with when we are exposed to experienced shooters as a nubee (which I am CHIEF NUBEE) is that high dollar equipment combined with no experience, no true vision, poor planning for lack of education,, ect,, ect the result is gonna be a far cry from that of a good shooter who can make the best of the crapiest equipment, video, audio, and lighting respectively.....

So here are some questions for you.

a- what are you shooting ?? I don't care if it's a 5 minute shoot of your cats playing tag in your living room but I will only watch it if it tells me a five minute story. footage is comprised of building blocks known as clips and if you can string these clips together to tell a story then you will have an audience in the end despite the cam. So take your insipiration to the notepad and think it through.

b- where are you shooting?? This is what is going to determine how you are going to sound and light your clips

c- what look are you tring to achieve?? The more complex, the more you'll need. Simple footage can be dressed and sweatend for look and sound in post, more complex footage will require the cam to impact the look and feel of your clips so that post will be a more pleasant experience.

Sorry if I came preachy with this post, not my intention at all, But in trying to help you without knowing where you are intending to get when comparing cams I can safely say most responses although correct in the way of the information regarding cams and such may not help you at all till you weigh in on what your going for.

OH YEAH P.S. someday we will all indeed be RED users for sure, but till then SD and HD is still a fun poor mans impersonation of FILMMAKERS at work. Long Live the Grain and it's Depth of Feild playground LOL

Others seem to add qualification. I will state flat out that NO - the Canon is not as good as the Panasonic. Get the Panasonic. The "whys" of this require too much explanation, but if you understood them, you wouldn't be asking your question to begin with.