Dilemma

I am shooting a small Lifehouse concert this week. The band mandates how they're lit, and I cannot have a say in the lights colors or add any illumination.

I did one of these intimate shows about two months ago - the artists was lit with a single red bulb. It made him look like a hamburger under a heat lamp.

Anyone have suggestions on how I might improve my shots within these conditions? I'm shooting with an XL1

I am shooting a small Lifehouse concert this week. The band mandates how they're lit, and I cannot have a say in the lights colors or add any illumination.

I did one of these intimate shows about two months ago - the artists was lit with a single red bulb. It made him look like a hamburger under a heat lamp.

Anyone have suggestions on how I might improve my shots within these conditions? I'm shooting with an XL1

I think you have to begin making this question, why I'm shooting this ???, Are you working or just helping this "Band", because i think (my POV) here it is where your problems begins. If you're working on this project well i think you have to make a meeting and explain what you thinking and try to create/make an ambience between your vision and the Band vision... You say: "The band mandates how they're lit", try this item in your meeting, if the band are close to any suggestion, well then you have to evaluate what do you wanna do... Hope helps you

Good luck

• Premium Member

Lifehouse had a big single or two a while ago. I have worked with more "high profileish" artists, and have found that sometimes they are more demanding of how their image is rendered, as well as their management. They realize this piece is going to be seen by many, and is just a small part of a larger image machine.

That said, sometimes they are more open, sometimes their ideas are good, sometimes they are not. You have to be a diplomat, as it is their money paying for the shoot.

I am just the DP on these things, so I can either not take the job, or just say "yes sir (or mam)". A lot of it also depends on the director, but in the end, a lot of it is out of my hands.

Kevin Zanit