Can i work in HD wtih the knowledge of DV???

Mukesh Chander

I can work in all DV cameras. But i never done a project in a HD camera. And now i am gettin a job in a production house where i need to work in HD. I have the confidence in me and have the courage to take up the job. But before tat can i know from u professional HD cameramans, is tat possible for me to develop my knowledge on hd by directly working on it? [i have attended a workshop on Varicam] Is there any special care to be taken in lighting for hd cameras? If so can u explain me or can u just tell me where can i find some help on the subject lighing for hd in any websites.. Or wat else should i do before taking up the job??? thanks in advance!!

Things that might be quite different vary quite a bit, depending on what DV-cameras you have been using so far and what HD-cameras youwill be using.

- external optics require you to check backfocus

- focus itself is much more critical, depending on the shoot at hand you will have to measure or require an excellent viewfinder, which is often not available (sony hdvfc, accuscene EVF or arri d20 optical)

- most top-class hd-cameras (sony, arri, panasonic, panavision, thomson, s:i) offer several pretty creative functions inside of the camera. Dependent of the producer/director, they might expected you know how to handle them.

but without more precise information with which cameras you worked so far, and which you will be using in the future, it is pretty hard to give more than general advice.

• Premium Member

In general you'll be OK. The only real difference is the criticality of focus.

Beyond that there's nothing you absolutely couldn't have come across in SD DV. Other correspondents are correct to warn you that HD cameras may have more complex menu options, but you aren't duty bound to get involved with all that unless you have a reason to.

Phil

Beyond that there's nothing you absolutely couldn't have come across in SD DV. Other correspondents are correct to warn you that HD cameras may have more complex menu options, but you aren't duty bound to get involved with all that unless you have a reason to.

Carefull Phil, all depends on the camera he will be using...

- arri/gv raw modes...

- sony different color spaces....709 vs. rgb etc

- panasonic overcranking in varicam

etc

i have used panasonic DVX 100, sony PD 170, canon XL1 [DV]. And i think i need to work in a varicam[HD].

Those pro-comsumer cameras are operationed differently compared to the manual zooms used on the Varicam and other high end cameras, so there's a steep learning curve.

If you'd been shooting with a Sony DSR 570 or DSR 500 or other SD broadcast ENG cameras, the basic operating principles would be pretty similar.

Those pro-comsumer cameras are operationed differently compared to the manual zooms used on the Varicam and other high end cameras, so there's a steep learning curve.

If you'd been shooting with a Sony DSR 570 or DSR 500 or other SD broadcast ENG cameras, the basic operating principles would be pretty similar.

Sony DSR 500 shoots in hd or sd?

So can i be skilled in hd by just working with it? I am going to do music videos, docus, short films.. in tat. So step by step can i learn by myself abt hd or do i need to go to a film school?

Edited by Mukesh Chander

So can i be skilled in hd by just working with it? I am going to do music videos, docus, short films.. in tat. So step by step can i learn by myself abt hd or do i need to go to a film school?

You won't be skilled in HD by using a DSR 570, but you'd have the basic knowledge that can be used to get started on cameras like the Varicam.

Given the questions you're asking I suspect you'd need to go to be trained, since your basic knowledge don't seem to be that good. Most trainee camera assistants know more, so you really need to hit the books.