Gordon Willis short interview

Byron Karl

• Premium Member

"

What do today?s Hollywood cinematographers get right?and get wrong?

I think it?s amazing they get anything right. The ones that do, I give a world of credit to. Most DP?s are faced with ?motion confused with accomplishment??that is, directors who do not know how to tell a story.

Your work predates digital special effects. Jealous?

Everyone?s lost in a sea of special effects. I?m not against anything as a tool?it just shouldn?t be a way of life. I think a digital enema would do the most good for everyone right now."

I love Gordon Willis :)

You inspired a Gordon Willis research bomb. I looked him up and the usuals imdb and wiki come up. I read this on wiki and had a good laugh:

"As part of the legends surrounding The Godfather, Willis is said to have thrown an entire 35mm movie camera body and film magazine off a bridge after a quarrel with director Francis Ford Coppola."

Good times. I bet it was a Pistons, Knicks argument ;) And I wonder if someone rescued the pieces that flew off the bridge- probably not.

• Premium Member

There is another great Gordon Willis legend.....working on a film starring Paul Newman ("The Drowning Pool") there were complaints that due to Willis penchant for top-lighting, Newman's famous blue eyes were not able to be seen to the extent the producers' wished.

Willis offered the following solution: re-cast.

The producers did not.

Edited by Paul Maibaum

In the above post I simply am reporting a rumour for it's entertainment value.

I personally think Gordon Willis is one of the few geniuses in our profession.

Hello Paul,

Just to clear something up, a reporter reports on the facts, FOX NEWS passes along rumour for it's entertainment value.

Sorry, I couldn't pass that one up...ha ha.

Mike

"As part of the legends surrounding The Godfather, Willis is said to have thrown an entire 35mm movie camera body and film magazine off a bridge after a quarrel with director Francis Ford Coppola."

Sorry, all - this is pure fiction.

There were many quarrels, to be sure, but no cameras thrown off bridges.

Doug Hart

First Camera Assistant to Gordon Willis ASC

(ten years and ten features, plus many commercials)

NYC