Sound Design

Guest filmfreq

Guest filmfreq

I am interested in where to go to get great sound design elements for a trailer that I am currently cutting for and Independent film called The Mind's Eye. I want to get all of the swoosh and explosive sounds to add to the treatment. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks so much,

Rick

Elevated Films

• Premium Member

Hi,

I know exactly what you mean, and they're tricky to obtain. I think that a lot of big movies do spend a lot of time in a booth whipping dowels past microphones and suchlike, then processing a lot. Something like Sound Forge is invaluable here. Sometimes it's even possible to vocalise an approximation of what you want into a mic, and play with it to the point where it's unrecognisable as human speech - mix it with things, reverb, harsh EQ and dynamics changes, etc.

There's also Google, and there are some sites out there with free effects - there might even be one or two decently professional-level items amongst the hundreds of clucking chickens. And your DVD collection, depending how plaigaristic you're willing to be. I get the impression that a lot of stuff is recycled this way and processed out of all recognition, so you could get away with it!

Phil

there are a lot of sites that offer sound EFX, phil is right, google is yuor friend.

you can also go outside and dod what they did also. create the sounds yourself..

when i want to make sounds for music i produce, ill put on a movie or tv show with action and just close my eyes or keep the monitor off and just listen to the sounds. your brain will pay more attention to the sounds (well mine does anyway) when the visual cues are not there.. sometimes you can hear differentr elements in making up sounds. works pretty good for me.

Sometimes it's even possible to vocalise an approximation of what you want into a mic, and play with it to the point where it's unrecognisable as human speech

thats just how the sound designer did R2D2s sound... his voice tweaked and keyboard sounds...