HD=What digital format?

Joshua Jackson

Hello. I'm telecine'ing a s16 film to a digital format that I want to edit on my computer. After I'm done editing I want to export this final-cut film to a digital format that labs can take and put onto HDCAM without losing any quality. What format (avi, mpeg, etc.) would I ask the lab to transfer to so that I can keep HD quality (1.9k) throughout the workflow process.?

P.S.: I found a lab that can telecine to what they call DataDisks and D1, D2. I'm kind of new to all of this. Can anyone explain the formats for Telecine to me?

• Premium Member

HD tape formats are HDCAM, DVCPROHD, HD-D5, and HDCAM-SR.

D1 and D2 (which is rarely used any more) are standard def tape formats. D1 is uncompressed component SD video, now mostly replaced by Digital Betacam, which is mildly compressed, and D2 is composite SD video.

Ah ha! So, I take it, I need the correct VTR (?) to play these tape formats? How would you rate the quality of these formats? --or does HD always stay 1080...

Thank you so much for helping, David. On the side: I really appreciate credible professionals helping us students. Anyways, thanks!

• Premium Member

Those were all tape formats that I listed. HD can be either 720P, 1080i, or 1080P. Obviously if they supplied you with a transfer to tape, you'd need a tape deck to play it back. HD and SD can be transferred to hard drives or computer tapes in various codecs, or uncompressed.