The making of "Children of Men"

Yeh, ok - its whizz bang and all but the reality of it is that its neat for people like us who like this stuff to go ooh and ahh at but the final shot that it was rigged to complete just goes right over the heads of the average punter...

Its a gantry style moco set up on top of a car - the actors might have had some ducking and weaving to do, and then they get to sit on set on do a talking head interview that seems like it could break into mockumentary at any stage...

Boo! hiss! :lol:

Yeh, dont get me wrong I love this poop - but I dunno, how much of a budget should be put aside to stuff that really only shines in the 'making of' sections of a DVD - are they trying to revive some romantic notion that cinema is magic made my us mere humans, or are they just showing off ?

This scene is one of the best in Children of Men. It's incredibly tense, the lack of editing makes you feel very in the moment, and the de facto POV (in the car shooting) provides a powerful 'I'm there' vibe. I'd say that the filmmakers accomplished something very incredible with their fancy schmancy rig - they made this part of their film come totally alive!

The average 'punter' doesn't need to have any idea how it was accomplished. The audience isn't supposed to understand the magician's trick; they are meant to enjoy the magic.

The average 'punter' doesn't need to have any idea how it was accomplished.

Yet here we have the making of it on YouTube with 51,165 hits.

Anyway, I digress as that wasn't my point.... I was saying the average 'viewer' or whatever wouldn't appreciate the fact that traditional 35mm film cameras make shots like that near on impossible, I guess with time and technology as it is sooner or later small cameras named after certain primary colors or otherwise will make this all redundant anyway, but for the time being, how do I put it - with my opinion as biased as it is I just think there was more wow factor in the 'making of' version than in the footage from the shot in the film...

And my point/question is>> should that really be the goal of film-maker ?

You know, I'm not against innovation and I have a ton and a half of respect for the pioneers of SFX/camera and the rest (and this film) - that being said I think that they/we/you/me all are and have been in myriad ways standing on the shoulders of giants as far back as you care to go, pre-film certainly... Maybe its just a pet peeve but these little self-aggrandizing marketing snippets get on my goat for some reason.

:P

Simple and I'm assuming much cheaper effects such as the blood hitting the camera/screen later in the film were way more effective in terms of $$$ vs. effect - maybe they could have made a moco blood-splatterer or something for the making of ?

Edited by Nick Mulder

• 2 weeks later...
The average 'punter' doesn't need to have any idea how it was accomplished. The audience isn't supposed to understand the magician's trick; they are meant to enjoy the magic.

That right there is so poetic! I could not agree more! Especially after watching The Prestige :P