essential gaffing kit

• Premium Member
And yes, you will look at the monitor so you can see what the DP sees

I'm sorry JD, I couldn't disagree more. If you're judging film on monitors then shame on you. Judge film by eye..... judge it thru a viewfinder. Monitors are for Directors and agencies

Shame on me then. I work more video shoots than I do film. If I'm gaffer on a film shoot, I'd have my meter and I wouldn't be peering over the directors shoulder, looking at the monitor. I'd may occasionally be found getting a look at the camera framing, through the viewfinder, between takes.

• Premium Member
[quote name='JD Hartman' post='185669' date='Jul 30 2007, 03:34 PM']If I'm gaffer on a film shoot, I'd have my meter and I wouldn't be peering over the directors shoulder, looking at the monitor.[/quote]

You certainly wouldn't JD, you'd most likely get fired.... Monitors are cheap, why use just one?

Seriously though what do you use your meter for? I work with an American gaffer when working there, lovely man, but drives me nuts with his metering. He's only trying to be helpful, but I have to keep asking him not to check my readings with his meter. He has little idea what the factors for a #8 Yellow and a tobacco are and whether I'm applying these factors from shot to shot, how much I choose to under or over expose the key, etc... I really dont need somebody keep telling how much light is falling here there and everywhere. The 1st AC hears him calling "got 5.6 by the pillar" and starts asking me why I'm shooting at 11....... Fair enough if you're off pre lighting and a backing needs to be x stops up or down on the key, how I'm rating the stock etc, but on a live set I find it extremely unnecessary. 90% is done by eye anyway...

I dont think I've ever seen an English Gaffer openly carrying a meter around.... not to say some don't, but I've never seen it. Maybe they've heard my opinion :rolleyes:

The beauty of all working to a different system I guess

Yes, the DP will use his or her meter and take a reading when and where they feel necessary. If my meter is used for a reference it is because I am asked to do so. It is sometimes handy to use during prelighting to establish a more accurate level than just purely by eye.