IMDb Resume

Matthew Buick

Hello.

Many DPs on this forum have resume's on IMDb. I was wondering how these people got those Resume's. Are they something you can just create like a cinematography.com profle, or does IMDb just create one for a person who is grabbing their attention through their work?

Thanks. ;)

The way I know it, there are two ways of getting a resume on IMDb.

One is, just like David said, to have a feature on IMDb, then your credit will show up. (Even with a short that was in at least one festival, if the producer added the credits for it, then your resume will be created then.)

The other is to pay to get it on there, and you have to do all the work of adding your stuff in. I personally do not agree with that, cause that way anyone can put anything on there.

• Premium Member
The way I know it, there are two ways of getting a resume on IMDb.

One is, just like David said, to have a feature on IMDb, then your credit will show up. (Even with a short that was in at least one festival, if the producer added the credits for it, then your resume will be created then.)

The other is to pay to get it on there, and you have to do all the work of adding your stuff in. I personally do not agree with that, cause that way anyone can put anything on there.

What?

1) I've never shot a feature as a DoP, Not likely to get the chance either

2) I've never paid them a cent

For some reason I have an itsy bitsy entry (my kids used to love when they were young and gullible!).....

Well here is the page for adding new films:

http://www.imdb.com/updates?update=title

Imdb is a great way to boost your presence in the industry. If I ever take interest in someone in film I sometimes look them up on imdb. Just to see how far up in the industry they are and what they've worked on, and who they've worked with.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

What?

1) I've never shot a feature as a DoP, Not likely to get the chance either

2) I've never paid them a cent

For some reason I have an itsy bitsy entry (my kids used to love when they were young and gullible!).....

You are absolutely right. It doesn't matter what you do on a feature (or a short that is accepted to the festival; I don't know what the deal is for commercials or other work). You don't have to be a DP necessarily. Whatever you do, if the producer ads the film with all the people that got credited. There are a lot of people that have their IMDb pages on and have worked in smaller (not to be read as 'less important') roles.

You can add your own credits to a movie (provided the movie is listed) if they aren't added by someone else. I believe IMDB will cross-check your credit with the producers (or studio) of the film to make sure you worked on it because it takes a few weeks for the listing to show up once you add it.

• Premium Member

Where did you come up with this? It's completely inaccurate. No one pays to have their credits listed on IMDB.

Someone has to add your credits to the website, whether you add them yourself or not. It doesn't really matter who adds it, although I've found that if someone adds a credit for someone else it often appears on the website sooner. But it is perfectly acceptable to add your own credits as you work on different things. I've added (or at least corrected) many of my credits on IMDB. Almost every producer I know uses this as a reference when hiring someone they've never worked with before (this probably applies more to a camera operator than it does to say a P.A. or some other positions). It's pretty easy to do, although it's gotten to be more of a pain over the last few years, especially for television. And my personal experience is that credits get added quicker once you already have a dozen or more credits on their site. They just seem to appear within a few days as opposed to a few weeks. I definately experienced some frustration when adding credits when I only had a few. Sometimes they would never appear at all and I had to add them again. I've also added credits for friends that had had their credits refused by IMDB when they added them themselves. I used to think they actually cross-checked information, but I don't really believe that anymore. Can you imagine the man-hours it would take to actually check EVERY credit that is added?

Because of the fact that anyone can add credits (a la Wikipedia) there are many inaccuracies on IMDB, but for the most part I think it's correct for individuals. It's some of the tech specs and other info that is most often incorrect it seems.

It's a good thing to have and I try to keep up with it as much as possible.

Where did you come up with this? It's completely inaccurate. No one pays to have their credits listed on IMDB.

Someone has to add your credits to the website, whether you add them yourself or not. It doesn't really matter who adds it, although I've found that if someone adds a credit for someone else it often appears on the website sooner. But it is perfectly acceptable to add your own credits as you work on different things. I've added (or at least corrected) many of my credits on IMDB. Almost every producer I know uses this as a reference when hiring someone they've never worked with before (this probably applies more to a camera operator than it does to say a P.A. or some other positions). It's pretty easy to do, although it's gotten to be more of a pain over the last few years, especially for television. And my personal experience is that credits get added quicker once you already have a dozen or more credits on their site. They just seem to appear within a few days as opposed to a few weeks. I definately experienced some frustration when adding credits when I only had a few. Sometimes they would never appear at all and I had to add them again. I've also added credits for friends that had had their credits refused by IMDB when they added them themselves. I used to think they actually cross-checked information, but I don't really believe that anymore. Can you imagine the man-hours it would take to actually check EVERY credit that is added?

Because of the fact that anyone can add credits (a la Wikipedia) there are many inaccuracies on IMDB, but for the most part I think it's correct for individuals. It's some of the tech specs and other info that is most often incorrect it seems.

It's a good thing to have and I try to keep up with it as much as possible.

This is what I saw: "Starting at $2.50 per month, IMDb Resume is the lowest-priced resume resource available." (http://resume.imdb.com/)

I hope you are right and I'm reading something wrong.

There is a difference between having your resume appear on the site (in PDF form, I suppose) and your list of credits -- which is what we are talking about here. A crew member adding a resume is like an actor adding a head shot, just a personalization for would-be employers to access. Its not a bad feature, but I still prefer adding my resume to e-mails for free!

There is a difference between having your resume appear on the site (in PDF form, I suppose) and your list of credits -- which is what we are talking about here. A crew member adding a resume is like an actor adding a head shot, just a personalization for would-be employers to access. Its not a bad feature, but I still prefer adding my resume to e-mails for free!

Oh... OK. Thanks for claryfying that for me. ;)