aaton ltr conversion

diego vazquez

so i read all about how to convert an aaton to super 16mm, i happen to have an ltr model C731, and its standard 16 at the moment, before i send it off to get converted, i wanna make sure its can actually get converted as easy as it sounds, so i think i got it clear , to get it converted the following needs to be done to it:

1.-shift the viewfinder by swaping the spacer to the side of the battery (currently on the side of the motor)

2.-swaping the viewing screen to one that shows me the whole 1.66 frame (also shift it to super 16 mode by loosening the screw that keeps the groundglass in place and then rescrew it after its been shifted)

3.- centering the lens mount

4.- (now this one i actually havent read it but its pretty obvious) i need a super 16 aperture plate, right?

so... the problem i found is that my camera has the spacer for the view finder and the swapable lock on the lens mount, but IT DOESNT HAVE THIS FAMOUS SCREW NEXT TO THE GROUND GLASS, i saw pictures of another ltr that has a lower model number than mine and that one has it, you can see it through the lens port.

so the question... is mine one convertible to super16 then? should i bother shipping it to get converted?

also howcome there doesnt seem to be anyone selling super 16 aperture plates? is there extremely low demand????

• Premium Member

Diego,

There are no specific S16 aperture/picture plates for the magazines. By aperture plate, do you mean the gate?

If the camera is of the factory S16 switchable generation, you should already have an S16 gate. You can identify a factory-made S16 gate by the two chromed raised portions between the outer rails and the actual aperture. If it is S16 the chromed portion to the left (facing the back of the gate) of the aperture will be thinner than the one on the right. A S16 gate is used even in an R16 configuration as the S16 area on the neg, while being exposed, will be discarded anyways in the event of transfer or printing.

If you could, post a picture of your groundglass, by placing the mirror in reflex, opening up the viewfinder/eyepeice and pointing a light source in it and photographing through the gate.

It is not impossible the original groundglass (and assembly/support) could have been damaged and swapped out at some point. I'd very much like to see the orientation and marking on the screen.

The S16 gates are still made new by Aaton and are for sale by Aaton agents, but they're a little less than $5,000 a pop for a new one.

Most Aaton agents will charge between a half hour to an hour of labor to switch you camera between formats. Converting an R16-only body to S16 is another matter entirely.

Good luck,

nathan

thanks for replying Nathan,

i will take a picture tonight when i get back home of the gate, and the ground glass..

sorry i did mean gate, and i definately have a standard 16 gate beacause the two chrome raised portions are the same width, also i placed some gash film against the gate and the chrome bit on the left is definately cropping as if there were perforations or soundtrack, and the ratio of the gate just by eye, defianetely looks more like a 4:3 frame, not to mention, that when i first got the camera we shot some tests, and in the telecine session, the extra (S16) region on the neg was unexposed.

thank you again for your reply, and i'll post the pictures as soon as i get home.

is there any second hand super 16 gates for sale? a brand new one sounds expensive,

If you could, post a picture of your groundglass, by placing the mirror in reflex, opening up the viewfinder/eyepeice and pointing a light source in it and photographing through the gate.

hi Nathan so, here are the pictures... i tried my best but i only had my phone to take them, so forgive me about the quality. so i think it wouldn't be too bad converting it, i think it should be just getting the S16 gate, and a 1.66 marked ground glass, i think my favourite one is the one that only has the 1.66 border and the cross hair. no 4:3 safeties at all.

does this have hope at all?

fingers crossed!!

post-16146-1185592979_thumb.jpg

post-16146-1185592996_thumb.jpg

post-16146-1185593010_thumb.jpg

post-16146-1185593017_thumb.jpg

post-16146-1185593026_thumb.jpg