Nizo 6080

Ralph Tabith

Hi, I am shooting a film with my new nizo next weekend, i have a few questions if anyone can help?

If I put a ND filter on the camera, will the auto exposure compensate automaticvally?

What is the shutter speed of this camera? (I have a bought a sekonic cine so i will measure the light externally as well)

Thanks - (my internet is down so its hard to respond)

• Premium Member
Hi, I am shooting a film with my new nizo next weekend, i have a few questions if anyone can help?

If I put a ND filter on the camera, will the auto exposure compensate automatically?

What is the shutter speed of this camera? (I have a bought a sekonic cine so i will measure the light externally as well)

Thanks - (my internet is down so its hard to respond)

the ND filter will be compensated for by the automatic exposure meter. What you may not like is the viewfinder will appear darker than normal, useable, but not as clear as when not using an ND.

But if you need the Nd, you need the Nd.

There is a chart that Super-8 Booster has provided in the past that shows the shutter speeds for a wide variety of super-8 cameras.

As a "default" that will work for many cameras you can always use between 160-190 degrees for the shutter angle, or you can always just double the frame rate, so 18 frames equals around 1/35 to 1/40, 24 frames equals around 1/45th to 1/60th...etc...,

Then it's up to you decide how much additional you want to add to compensate for the viewfinder that siphons some of the incoming light. Usually around 1/3-1/2 of an f-stop is split to the viewfinder so you need to add that to your final calculation.

the ND filter will be compensated for by the automatic exposure meter. What you may not like is the viewfinder will appear darker than normal, useable, but not as clear as when not using an ND.

But if you need the Nd, you need the Nd.

There is a chart that Super-8 Booster has provided in the past that shows the shutter speeds for a wide variety of super-8 cameras.

As a "default" that will work for many cameras you can always use between 160-190 degrees for the shutter angle, or you can always just double the frame rate, so 18 frames equals around 1/35 to 1/40, 24 frames equals around 1/45th to 1/60th...etc...,

Then it's up to you decide how much additional you want to add to compensate for the viewfinder that siphons some of the incoming light. Usually around 1/3-1/2 of an f-stop is split to the viewfinder so you need to add that to your final calculation.

24fps gives a 1/43sec shutter speed meaning the shutter is 200 degrees

Guys, is it really necessary to quote entire posts? Especially when your answer is right after the question?

That just makes things harder to follow.

Don't quote at all if your post is next. And only quote the relevant portion if you need to .

Edited by Jim Simon

• Premium Member
24fps gives a 1/43sec shutter speed meaning the shutter is 200 degrees

The above is just outside of the range I provided. So if you hadn't known and instead used the 150-190 rule what you'd find is you'd still be pretty darn close and the offset you choose for the loss to the viewfinder would matter just as much.