Electrical Training in San Francisco?

Jonathan Bowerbank

most community colleges offer courses for electricians, they are designed for the IBEW electricians not film electrics. Some film schools cover this stuff but not in enough detail. the best way to learn is to work under a gaffer and learn through mentoring. In the modern day of unions and workers rights the mentoring programs are falling to the wayside. It is a real shame. Find a gaffer who will let you work as a electrician and teach you. In SF contact DTC rentals and talk to them. I have only dealt with them on the phone but they seem nice.

I agree, talk to the boys over at DTC or Fryer's, they are pretty chill about dropping some knowledge when you need it. I better recommend however that you just get on set and work electric as much as possible and learn from either the other electrics or gaffer. You can never learn enough on set. It would also help if you took some time to read the 'Set tech' handbook, theres a lot of stuff in there that can help you out. Good luck.

Set Lighting Technitians Handbook, It's got everything you need in there.

Yeah, I've already been through the SLT handbook. Just looking for a quick shortcut to learn some basics in wiring, power distribution, etc... I'm not looking to get TOO deep into it as being a Gaffer/Lighting Technician isn't really my ambition. But I'd like to have a general knowledge about how it all works :)

I looked into City College's classes, they do offer courses in basic electrics but it's not offered this semester. Looks like I'll be hittin' the books :)