Schneider 35mm lenses (Cinegon)

Adrian Correia

I may possibly buy a set of these lenses and was wondering if anyone could provide some feedback in regards to these. They are from an old friend, and in excellent shape and for 3000.00 it seems like a really good deal....any thoughts on this glass?

• Premium Member

Stanley Kubrick owned a 28mm Schneider lens that he used to fill out his Cooke S2/S3 (and 9.8 Kinoptik and 14.5 Angénieux) set. All these lenses are from 1960s if I'm not mistaken so they don't look nearly as good as modern glass, but they still should be serviceable.

Do the Schneiders come in a PL mount?

Hey Max! How have you been? No, they are Arri Standard mount....but they come with an adapter...i was wondering how difficult they would be to change to PL mount. My K35s were a bitch and a half to remount...

Hi Adrian,

I'm after a 35mm and 50mm K35...have you come across any good ones

best

rob spence

• Premium Member
Hi Adrian,

I'm after a 35mm and 50mm K35...have you come across any good ones

best

rob spence

I have both. They're the fastest lenses in the set (both are T1.3, BNC mount), and are in excellent condition. If you want to make an offer, send me an e-mail.

• Premium Member
Stanley Kubrick owned a 28mm Schneider lens that he used to fill out his Cooke S2/S3 (and 9.8 Kinoptik and 14.5 Angénieux) set. All these lenses are from 1960s if I'm not mistaken so they don't look nearly as good as modern glass, but they still should be serviceable.

Are these the lenses used on Clockwork Orange? I know the 9.8 Kinoptik was used, but I'd like to know which other specific lenses were used on that shoot.

Were they used on any other of his movies?

Thanks.

• Premium Member

It must have been on the films from at least Dr Strangelove up to Barry Lyndon I guess. After that film Zeiss came out with the Superspeeds. The 14.5mm was used on Dr Strangelove already (I saw that focal lenght on a continuity report). Of the Cookes there were 2 sets, one for Arri cameras and one for Mitchell. Interestingly the Mitchell version has more iris blades (I think 12, as opposed to 8) than the ones for Arri. The housing is bigger too, but the glass is exactly the same.

Max,

What is the Mitchell 14.5 lens you speak of? I don't recall them selling lenses under their name. I remember an Angenieux 14.5 mm lens for both cine and still camera use as I had one on my Exacta 35mm camera and use to service lots of them for cine use.

thanks,

Chuck

rob -

I will keep my eyes peeled for some of the K35s, but it looks like Dan might be able to help you.

thanks Adrian,

you can check out what they are for on www.bigness.co.uk ( its low budget)

best

rob spence

I'm not sure if he had a 14.5mm for his Mitchell Camera, but on Dr Strangelove they shot on the 14.5mm with his Arri camera. Either way it would have been the Angenieux.

I've scene stills or behind the scenes footage of shooting the "record" store scene in 'Clockwork Orange' (it was in the homage made by his wife and brother-in-law)

It was shot with the BNC with, I believe, the 14.5. The lens was deeply recessed in the Mitchell's mount & the scene was extremely wide angle, probably more than an 18.

Mitchell did have a set of Mitchell high speeds in BNCR mount. 28, 35, 55 and 85. Very probably rehoused still lens and seem to be identical to the F&B/Ceco high speeds.

The AC article on 'Barry Lyndon' mentions using high speed Canons for the highwaymen in the forest scene.

Since this predates the K35s, they're probably custom rehoused still lenses.

• Premium Member
I may possibly buy a set of these lenses and was wondering if anyone could provide some feedback in regards to these. They are from an old friend, and in excellent shape and for 3000.00 it seems like a really good deal....any thoughts on this glass?

One thing you can do is find out how old they really are from Schneider's web site, here:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/age_of_lenses/

-- J.S.