Purchasing 5 Super 8 cameras

John Adolfi

I got an idea for a summer camp venture. I'll give the teen 5 loaded cameras to do what they want with one roll after 30 minutes of instruction. then develop it and show all 5 rolls in a drive in like format showing. My question is if you were purchasing 5 cameras, which lower end cameras would you buy?

• Premium Member
I got an idea for a summer camp venture. I'll give the teen 5 loaded cameras to do what they want with one roll after 30 minutes of instruction. then develop it and show all 5 rolls in a drive in like format showing. My question is if you were purchasing 5 cameras, which lower end cameras would you buy?

I think the Elmo brand is the friendliest camera for beginners. They made a ton of lower end zoom range cameras such as the 312, 412, and their 200 series cameras were all basic models but durable cameras as well. If I am recalling correctly virtually all Elmo Super-8 cameras have both automatic exposure along with an easy to use manual exposure override and an easy to see F-stop guage in the viewfinder.

I think the Elmo brand is the friendliest camera for beginners. They made a ton of lower end zoom range cameras such as the 312, 412, and their 200 series cameras were all basic models but durable cameras as well. If I am recalling correctly virtually all Elmo Super-8 cameras have both automatic exposure along with an easy to use manual exposure override and an easy to see F-stop guage in the viewfinder.

I'd avoid the older Elmo silent cameras. The meters are almost always broken.

Get the later Elmo sound cameras-- they are perfect for silent filming. Big, hefty, extremely reliable, cheap. They're like a real movie camera.

Look for the 350SL, the 230, 240, 260. There are thousands of them around--they were big sellers. You won't do any better. They're always on EBAY.