Visiting Beaulieu...again.

John Adolfi

Just got off the phone with Bernie fom Super16.com. You know the one who fixes cameras featured in the Jan 2007 issue of Super 8 today.

I asked several questions and the answer in his experience kept coming back to Beaulieu's with a german lens. I asked him which model and he said any one is fine. Well what do you all say. Which model do you like and what lens do you feel is the best in terms of resolving power and color reproduction. As much as he did not want to admit it he said the french angenieux was not as good as the Schneiders.

Just got off the phone with Bernie fom Super16.com. You know the one who fixes cameras featured in the Jan 2007 issue of Super 8 today.

I asked several questions and the answer in his experience kept coming back to Beaulieu's with a german lens. I asked him which model and he said any one is fine. Well what do you all say. Which model do you like and what lens do you feel is the best in terms of resolving power and color reproduction. As much as he did not want to admit it he said the french angenieux was not as good as the Schneiders.

As far as lenses go the "web consensus" seems to be (in order of best to worst):

1st Equal: Angenieux 6-90mm/Angenieux 6-80mm

2nd: Schneider 6-66mm

From there down I'm not sure but the 6-70mm Schneider doesn't seem to be anyones favorite, nor does the 8-64mm Angenieux (which I have) although IIRC there are more complaints about the 6-70mm (vignetting, soft, etc) than the 8-64mm.

What I like about the 8-64mm is the macro all through the zoom range. Although the Schneider 6-66mm has this too and is apparently a sharper lens.

I have a 4008ZMII and while it is the "classic" with more features than ergonomics (rampable fps, variable shutter, backwinding, full ground glass, mirror shutter etc) I wish I had a 7008 Pro with it's slightly larger shutter angle (1/60 versus 1/87 on the 4008 at 24fps) and crystal sync module.