HELP! I HAVE NO LIGHT TEMPERATURE FILTER!

max sacker

HELP! I am stuck in rural Ireland, with no professional photography shop anywhere in the country

that might sell a Tungsten to Daylight conversion filter. (Kodak Wratten 85 or other)

I have a Krasnogorsk-3 with me and was hoping to shoot a plate of a road out the back of a car

for rear projection or keying. I have Kodak Vision 200T stock and a few yellow filters, skylight

and a polarizer.

Unless there is anyone on this forum in the Co. Clare area that could lend me a 77mm filter my only option is to shoot it as it is and deal with the blue tint in post.

Is a blue tint correctable in post? Will mounting yellow filters help to reduce the blue tint?

Would appreciate any help or suggestions!

Thanks!

Max

You should be able to get a filter in Galway, there's a small film & TV industry based there, quite apart from the photographic shops. However, most professional filters will be square, so you might have to tape it to the front of the lens.

You can shoot without an 85 filter, but you may have to use your polarizer as a ND if it's a bright day. I wouldn't use a yellow filter, you'd be only introducing problems.

Try speaking to Telegael http://www.telegael.com/ for some local info.

You should be able to get a filter in Galway, there's a small film & TV industry based there, quite apart from the photographic shops. However, most professional filters will be square, so you might have to tape it to the front of the lens.

You can shoot without an 85 filter, but you may have to use your polarizer as a ND if it's a bright day. I wouldn't use a yellow filter, you'd be only introducing problems.

Try speaking to Telegael http://www.telegael.com/ for some local info.

I'll be heading to galway tomorrow. Any advice as to where specifically (address wise) to look?

I've called the Galway Camera Shop but to no avail.

Otherwise I'll shoot without. Cheers for the help!

Another option if you find that you can't get to the photography shop is to shoot a few seconds of a gray card or white card at the top of the roll. Your timer or colorist can correct the blue out of the image and get you back to neutral.

(By the way, you might want to call ahead since a 77mm filter is an uncommon filter size in still photography.)