Looking for HD transfer of 16mm in NYC area

Evan Ferrario

I am looking for a transfer house in the New York City area to telecine Regular 16mm footage.

The project I am transfering is just under 2 hours of footage shot on Fuji Eterna 250D. The film is being mixed with footage from a sony V1U HDV camera which was shot in 1080i. The film is being entered into several festivals and I am hoping will be played on a few theater screens. I want to get as much quality out of the transfer as possible so it will look good when played on the big screens. I was hoping to get a HD transfer direct to hard drive.

I am relativly new to working with film and I do not know what kind of results I can expect. My budget is around $1000 for the transfer.

I had the film processed with cinelab and they have been great to work with but currently, they only offer sd transfers i believe. I am still considering doing a SD transfer with them but I wanted to know what other options I have.

Also, since I am working with a low budget, I have also been looking at 5-blade 16mm projectors on ebay. The pluses I see to doing this is that I could use my V1U with the projector to transfer the film into the same format as my digital footage. I know this is not highly regarded as a good method for transfer, but I have been considering all the options.

My first choice would be to go with a professional transfer and I just wanted to know if anyone could recommend a place. My goal is to get the film in a digital format that will be as good or better than the HDV footage. I will post a few screens from the digital footage for comparision in a few days when I have access to it.

• Site Sponsor
I don't think Min'd Eye can do HD unless he's upgraded since I last talked to him (it's been a while). Try Postworks.

Try Calling Rich Torpey at Rhinoceros Post in NY They have a Sony Vialta which supposedly is s machine which rivals the Spirit and maybe he can cut you a deal, tell him I sent you.

Their number is 212 986 1577

I don't know if they direct to disk which is what you want I think.

-Rob-

• Premium Member

Whatever you do, avoid the Shadow Telecine. It is not truly hi-def (at least not from my K3 footage). In fact, the Cinelab transfer of the same footage (using a Rank Turbo) looked about 90% as good/sharp in Standard Def as the Shadow looked in DVCPro HD, at 1/4th the cost. I am not saying the Rank is a great telecine, more along the lines of that the Shadow was a huge disappointment. Hope this helps.

• Site Sponsor
Whatever you do, avoid the Shadow Telecine. It is not truly hi-def (at least not from my K3 footage). In fact, the Cinelab transfer of the same footage (using a Rank Turbo) looked about 90% as good/sharp in Standard Def as the Shadow looked in DVCPro HD, at 1/4th the cost. I am not saying the Rank is a great telecine, more along the lines of that the Shadow was a huge disappointment. Hope this helps.

We just had a different tube put in and a complete tuneup because of a 35mm anamorphic dailies job we are doing so the Turbo 4 is looking better than ever. I get allot of comments about the Shadow and many people are not pleased with it. I regularly use a C-Reality and a Spirit in NYC and I have never seen anything come from a Shadow which I found to be equal to either of these in HD. I find that the machine has a hard plastic look, sorry.

-Rob-