switar primes

marc barbé

I dont remember the exact size but it is metric and it was a very annoying 0.5 size for both the 10mm and 26mm presets (I know the standard 10mm is smaller, not sure about the 25mm, 75mm preset at least is certainly larger) -

I tried to get step up rings so I could use my much larger Mamiya 72mm filters but would have needed two and it was going to be expensive and possibly vignette anyhow ... I am still either using gel filters or have this kind of rubber band contraption to hold on resin or glass filters to the front - ugly, but optically fine

According to my notes the 10, 16, 25, and 26 are all 32mm. When found with filters it's usually with the series 5.5(35.9mm) adapter. The 50 is 42mm and the 75 is 41mm.

My measurements at the time never eventuated into something I could check, so assuming you have tried a 32mm filter on these lenses then I'm sure you are correct - although, I still note that the earlier 10mm switar (pre-preset) does have a smaller thread then the rest ...

I have a coupe of UV 5.5 filters in both my 10mm and 26mm - nice system, aside from the fact you can only have the one filter in there :rolleyes: Still looking for a nice series7 for my 75mm though

My measurements at the time never eventuated into something I could check, so assuming you have tried a 32mm filter on these lenses then I'm sure you are correct - although, I still note that the earlier 10mm switar (pre-preset) does have a smaller thread then the rest ...

I have a coupe of UV 5.5 filters in both my 10mm and 26mm - nice system, aside from the fact you can only have the one filter in there :rolleyes: Still looking for a nice series7 for my 75mm though

Thank you all for the precious answers. I also intend to step up to series 7 with the switars, since my main series is Cooke kinetals. I've found just about all the adapters I've ever needed on e-bay for a few bucks, except a 65mm step-up ring for Angénieux zoom.

Best regards,

Marc.

• Premium Member
I have a coupe of UV 5.5 filters --- nice system, aside from the fact you can only have the one filter in there

the half filter sizes, 4.5 and 5.5 are a bit rare. Still I am sure at one time you could get a filter ring which would allow stacking more than one filter. since they are the size of the lens, you might get cutoff.

you micht find a ring to allow a series 6 filter on a series 5.5 lens, then you could stack more than one series 6 filter. too bad the series filters more or less died out in the 1960s

60's - yep ! I love the designs of the boxes my eBay series filters turn up in - very retro ...

these should be interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N:IT&ih=017

just won the auction - very good deal if they are scratch free and otherwise clean - especially the ND's - I'm interested to find out how the polarizer will be able to rotate ... And what effect the centre spot will give apart from some form of 'light reducing crapperizer' - I'm assuming the Agfa one is a diffusion filter maybe ?

the half filter sizes, 4.5 and 5.5 are a bit rare. Still I am sure at one time you could get a filter ring which would allow stacking more than one filter. since they are the size of the lens, you might get cutoff.

you micht find a ring to allow a series 6 filter on a series 5.5 lens, then you could stack more than one series 6 filter. too bad the series filters more or less died out in the 1960s

I actually go with series 7 rings (6 to 7 adapters are easy to find) since I have a complete set of Tiffen filters for the Cookes (the series 7 adapters also take 48mm filters, and 49mm if you just file down the filter threads). I guess I'll just have to wait for a 32mm to 6 adapter to pop up on e-bay...

Regards,

Marc.