New RED movie

Adam Thompson

why is this even posted here?

great example of difference between reduser forum and cinematography forum. people here are jealous that they were never directly nor indirectly consulted on the development of their favorite hd/film cams before they were released. now they mistake reduser members' excitement for fanboyism.

• Premium Member
great example of difference between reduser forum and cinematography forum. people here are jealous that they were never directly nor indirectly consulted on the development of their favorite hd/film cams before they were released. now they mistake reduser members' excitement for fanboyism.

Hi Craig,

Not only were we consulted but changes were made due to conversations here, those same conversations were ignored on both Reduser & CML.

Stephen

Hi Craig,

Not only were we consulted but changes were made due to conversations here, those same conversations were ignored on both Reduser & CML.

That is wrong.

All important improvements and feedbacks were not here, but on the other forums.

The management and developers of red left this forum, together with the majority of buyers/reservation holders.

This thread is a good example why - Trollposts like this one are not locked down, threads with real information (as hires photos of the camera or links to publications covering the camera) are locked.

• Premium Member
That is wrong.

All important improvements and feedbacks were not here, but on the other forums.

The management and developers of red left this forum, together with the majority of buyers/reservation holders.

This thread is a good example why - Trollposts like this one are not locked down, threads with real information (as hires photos of the camera or links to publications covering the camera) are locked.

Hi Jan,

Jim noticed that post, I thought I made it elsewhere.

Stephen

At least you are still here.

yes, and maybe some more 5 or 10 red reservation holders lurking/reading.

however, as i am writing this, there are 780 users logged in on reduser.net.

sad for cinematography.com imho.

btw: when do you think will you be shooting (or ac) on a red for the first time?

• Premium Member

btw: when do you think will you be shooting (or ac) on a red for the first time?

Hi Jan,

Jim has 5 cameras, you have 2 so I think you underestimate the following here.

You may be unaware but Max has been directing for some time now, he won an award for a 35mm anamorphic short he directed. I saw his film at a festival, it kicked ass.

Stephen

Is the future Red?

The Red seems to be influencing everyone in film making. Its almost as if people just seem to be accepting the Red is a better way to make film and a lot cheaper. As if the defination tests prove beyond doubt that Red is a film camera.

I mean by the time you get film to a release print and projected in your average cinema its grainy image coupled with low defination is about on par with HD? And the Red can project at 4K and is therefore well.....

I guess for me having seen HD films at the cinema and of course real film I actually prefer the poor quality of film but then my advancing years coupled with cant teach old dog new tricks and blind. I guess I will have to accept the Red is a film camera with bells on.

I have a feeling many will fall for the red line and will cost them more in the longer run. Ive seen the future and the future is people like the look of film because they do. Any future films will be given a better head start made in real film. My opinion.

If someone told me the next superman film was being made in HDV this time I wouldnt even bother. I wonder how quick our audience savvy public start turning away from the cinema because of falling quality? Personally I go to the pictures to watch film start messing with that and I will be one customer less. Still with todays audiences compiled of a modern throwaway attitude will watch whatever you care to throw at them as long as its rambo ripping off someones head.

We'll see.

My guess is if the Red should suceed and replace film then it had better make its money quick as other competitors and the cinema go to the wall.

The management and developers of red left this forum...

Now that is factually incorrect.

A quick look at Jannards profile will show you that he posted here as recently as July15.

And if you've been around here long enough, you'd remember that he 'quit' the forum several times, only to resurface to address questions or comments made.

He may not be a highly active member of this forum, but I can assure you that he (and probably others of his team) are keeping an eye on this forum. Maybe not as much now that the pre-release pressures are building.. but he definitely had an eye on this place during the development stages. You may not like its overall tone, but you can't deny that as a collection of real-world, practicing industry professionals, it is a very important source of feedback.

Hi Jan,

Jim has 5 cameras, you have 2 so I think you underestimate the following here.

its up to 3 meanwhile.

i referred to people, not to units of red cameras. anyhow, one of the other red-forum often gets more new posts a day than this redforum in a month.

i might be wrong, but one reason for this might be the sometimes slightly unconstructive, biased, emotional and unprofessional attitude some posters here seem to have when it comes to red.

You may be unaware but Max has been directing for some time now, he won an award for a 35mm anamorphic short he directed. I saw his film at a festival, it kicked ass.

This is why i asked if he plans to shoot (or be ac/clapper) on red.

Now that is factually incorrect.

A quick look at Jannards profile will show you that he posted here as recently as July15.

ok, then lets settle to "are meanwhile almost ignoring" this forum.

I think Jannard alone posted 3 times today on that other website.

And if you've been around here long enough, you'd remember that he 'quit' the forum several times, only to resurface to address questions or comments made.

He may not be a highly active member of this forum, but I can assure you that he (and probably others of his team) are keeping an eye on this forum. Maybe not as much now that the pre-release pressures are building.. but he definitely had an eye on this place during the development stages. You may not like its overall tone, but you can't deny that as a collection of real-world, practicing industry professionals, it is a very important source of feedback.

That is exactly the reason why i am pondering why many posters here move the tone and bias of this particular subforum, as in this thread, to a somewhat unprofessional level.

btw: are you living on fiji? i would be jealous then - have lived a good amount of time in french polynesia and love the whole pacific region.

• Premium Member

ACing I haven't done for over 2 years now (except for a 2 day comeback this summer to help out a friend). Shooting with Red is not something that I have to concern myself with. I way too much like the look of film, especially the lovely way it handles skintones and blown-out highlights. Also I have budgets that allow me to shoot 35mm, as a matter of fact I am even talking to my friends at Arri about shooting on 65mm.

• Premium Member
i might be wrong, but one reason for this might be the sometimes slightly unconstructive, biased, emotional and unprofessional attitude some posters here seem to have when it comes to red.

You're right about that. The unconstructive, biased, emotional and unprofessional attitudes have been a big reason so many of the Red threads have been closed. If so many Red supporters, or anyone else, want to act that way they can do it at Reduser or on other forums. We try to keep this site professional, constructive, and unbiased.

• Premium Member
its up to 3 meanwhile.

i referred to people, not to units of red cameras. anyhow, one of the other red-forum often gets more new posts a day than this redforum in a month.

This is why i asked if he plans to shoot (or be ac/clapper) on red.

Hi Jan,

This board is aimed at professional cinematographers, generally we use cameras creatively to make beautiful pictures, we are generally less concerned by future features, more about what can we use it for today. Once the camera is released I am sure there will be more postings of benefit to those who take an interest.

I understand the L.A.R.T tests have been postponed, so I will do my best to source a camera and carry out independent tests. I would be quite happy for Mr Jannard to be present, I wish the tests to be fairly carried out and totally repeatable.

My best,

Stephen

Max, I've been hearing this for some time, is it being shown at any festivals, art houses in the near future?

Regards,

Andy

One interesting fact is that according to the Phantom HD website they are claiming that their high speed 4k digital camera is equivalent to 65mm film production. The Phantom website even gives a list of movies such as Lawrence of Arabia, The Sound of Music and 2001 a Space Oddyssey in order to motivate potential buyers.

Up until now Red has been rather conservative in its claims stating that it is merely equivalent to 35mm film production. However once the Red camera goes into production and is subject to extensive testing there is no doubt in my mind that Red will try and position itself as the rival to 65mm film cinematography. Of course it is a known fact that the the raw resolution of a 65mm film negative greately outresolves 4k however Red Digital Cinema will somehow figure out a way to prove that the the apparent resolution of 4k is the equivalent of 65mm film.

• Premium Member
Max, I've been hearing this for some time, is it being shown at any festivals, art houses in the near future?

PM me your address and I'll mail you a dvd. The film has made the tour of the festivals already.