Linking back to neg without flex files...

Vincent De Paula

Hi guys,

For the last S16mm film I shot we didn't get any flex files with the rushes from Technicolor but we got keycode numbers and feet and frames burnt ins in the picture. The producer has now managed to get a deal for a DI and I'm wondering what the best solution would be to link back to the original negative. What I have in mind is for the editing people to manually write the keycode numbers in the EDL that will come off the Avid. Is that the best approach? I would like to know if some of you have come across the same problem before and how did you sort this out.

Thanks

• Premium Member

The kind of manual transcription you're talking about is the way negative cutting was done back before flex files, when a low budget film would cut on tape. It's tedious and therefore dangerous when you're cutting the neg that way. With a DI, at least you're not doing anything irreversible. Neg cutters even had a kind of lock box to link a 3/4" cassette machine with a film synchronizer. The one thing to learn from that is that it's a good idea to have a DVD or cassette of the show available while you're pulling the selects, so you can double check if something doesn't seem right.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Hi,

This is a suggestion since I've never done it, and I can't guarantee it, but can't you just call the punch at the reel head zero timecode and work from that?

Neg cutters can work from zero indexed timecode on each lab roll, can't they?

It is less bulletproof than KK, obviously, but it's probably less error-prone than attempting a manual assembly.

Of course you could also just go back to telecine for a couple of hours and reindex all your rolls for flex... which is what I'd do...

Phil

Hi,

This is a suggestion since I've never done it, and I can't guarantee it, but can't you just call the punch at the reel head zero timecode and work from that?

Neg cutters can work from zero indexed timecode on each lab roll, can't they?

It is less bulletproof than KK, obviously, but it's probably less error-prone than attempting a manual assembly.

Of course you could also just go back to telecine for a couple of hours and reindex all your rolls for flex... which is what I'd do...

Phil

I'm currently thinking of that too Phil. Going back to the punch hole and work it from there...

If we would have to do this job, if the negative was transfered with no interruptions, we could easily recreate timecode/keykode relationship in our logging program.

Importing a CMX3600 EDL would provide us with a cutting/scanning list.

Scanning would be with a couple frames overlength (handles).

Conforming in Baselight would be automatic, visual checking against a video playout would provide double check.

So, what is the problem again?