Switar primes for Eclair NPR?

David Auner aac

• Premium Member

Hi folks,

I'm looking for lenses to fit my NPR which I'll have S16 converted by Les Bosher. I figured I'd get an Angenieux 12-120 and a nice set of Switar primes for starters. The Angenieux will cover S16 from around 25 on so I'm especially interested in the shorter Switars, the 10 and 16mm ones. But here I am a bit at loss.

I know that some versions of the Switars will cover S16 (with the exception of the 10mm one which will vignette in full aperture).

But which version of the Switars will work on my NPR? I am guessing that the RX are made specifically for Bolex Reflex cameras?

Regards, Dave

PS: I already have bought an Angenieux 17.5-70 for 35 EU, anyone know whether this one will cover S16?

One more thing, what do you guys think of the Schneider-Kreuznach Arriflex-Cinegons? Are these any good? Thanks!

Regards, Dave

PS: The NPR in question has an Arri Bayo mount instead of the standard CA mount.

Hi,

There's a quite few posts on this forum that have discussed the RX-AR issue and the super 16 coverage; you might want to check them out. The 10mm switar should be tested in super 16.. One thing you have to be careful about is that some older 10mm switars have a locked focus ring (no change of focus is possible).

As far as Angenieux zooms go, I've heard the shorter ones are much sharper (they're also much lighter). Which is worth considering since some of the older switars are very sharp little lenses.

Regards,

Marc.

• Premium Member

I have read the older threads on the topic. So I'm looking to get non Rx lenses, which seem to be cheaper anyway. But concerning the Schneider-Kreuznach lenses, can anyone tell me how these perform? From my general knowledge of Schneider lenses (large format still photography) these are exceptionally well made... Is this also true for their Cine-Xenons and Cinegons?

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member
I have read the older threads on the topic. So I'm looking to get non Rx lenses, which seem to be cheaper anyway. But concerning the Schneider-Kreuznach lenses, can anyone tell me how these perform? From my general knowledge of Schneider lenses (large format still photography) these are exceptionally well made... Is this also true for their Cine-Xenons and Cinegons?

Cheers, Dave

I'd go with the Schneiders, especially since you already have an Arri mount on the camera. Optically they'll be at least as good if nothing has happened to them over the years. They're larger, so it'll be easier to pull focus than with the tiny Switars. The mount is more robust and lens changes are quicker than with the screw type "C" mount. It's like comparing a 1957 Mercedes with a 1957 Volkswagen.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

One more entry to my collection of dumb questions...

I have seen that there's a Zeiss Distagon in 8mm T2.0 for Arri standard for not much more than the Schneiders on Ebay. What do you guys think of this lens and its brethren?

I don't mind buying my primes one after the other since I don't plan on shooting any commercial stuff just yet, and if something comes along I could always rent a set...

Cheers, Dave