Determining Focal Length

Chris Durham

So I had this great idea yesterday that I'd research the focal lengths of a bunch of common prime sets and translate that to focal lengths on the XL2.

Then I got home and started looking at my camera and couldn't find anything that displays the current focal length of the lens. Anybody know where I can find this, or if I even can? Thanks.

• Premium Member

I think the closest you can get is a guesstimate using the bargraph in the viewfinder. This chart by Chris Hurd might help which has 35mm equivalent focal lengths of the different canon lenses:

Guide to Canon XL2 Lens Options

I really wish canon put markings on the zoom & focus rings and nixed the infinite rotation, my main complaint in an otherwise great camera.

Dammit that's aggravating. I mean, even putting it in the viewfinder display would be so useful. Anyhow, here's the chart I made. It's based on an x4.4 difference between the 35mm film plane and the XL2's CCD, and, a variety of mathematical formulas showing different values, seemed to be the consensus over at dvinfo.net

• 3 weeks later...
Dammit that's aggravating. I mean, even putting it in the viewfinder display would be so useful. Anyhow, here's the chart I made. It's based on an x4.4 difference between the 35mm film plane and the XL2's CCD, and, a variety of mathematical formulas showing different values, seemed to be the consensus over at dvinfo.net

I'm interested in this but can't seem to find the chart you've made. Is it attached somehow? Please enlighten me.