Ultimate arm

I am pulling focus on a car commercial next week and would like tips on how to stay sharp.. the last time I was stuck in the trunk of a car since the director, car driver and camera operator took up the 2 front seats of the car. I was given an unreliable LCD, we were on the 4.7X Angenieux and I could tell the size of the lens off my FIZ but that's about all the info I could get. Are there any tricks on pulling focus through monitors? Any tips, info, stories welcome, thanks.

On the jobs that I've been on with the Ultimate Arm, the 1st AC will always be in the front passenger seat and will be whipping his head around to keep track of the arm. At the same time he keeps on eye on the monitor when he can. He said it takes a little getting used to.

• Premium Member
On the jobs that I've been on with the Ultimate Arm, the 1st AC will always be in the front passenger seat and will be whipping his head around to keep track of the arm. At the same time he keeps on eye on the monitor when he can. He said it takes a little getting used to.

This is what makes sense to me. You need to voice your opinion and not get stuck in a situation where you can't do your job, like getting stuck in a trunk. If anything, the director can be in there with a monitor. You need to be where you can get the production sharp footage.

• Premium Member

I know a handful of 1st's who pull exclusively off monitors on TV shows shot on HD. They say it takes a little getting used to but they like it better. It's different than the situation you'll be in, but it seems that this sort of thing is doable. Ask to sit where you think you'll be in the best position to get the best focus, but if they relegate you to the trunk let them know that they're hindering your ability to do your job the best you can. If they're fine with that then what can you say? If they have to deal with soft shots in post hopefully they'll remember that you warned them about possible issues.

• Premium Member
I know a handful of 1st who pull exclusively off monitors on TV shows shot on HD. They say it takes a little getting used to but they like it better. It's different than the situation you'll be in, but it seems that this sort of thing is doable. Ask to sit where you think you'll be in the best position to get the best focus, but if they relegate you to the trunk let them know that they're hindering your ability to do your job the best you can. If they're fine with that then what can you say? If they have to deal with soft shots in post hopefully they'll remember that you warned them about possible issues.

Yeah, Brad said something I forgot to. Even if they don't listen, you have the "I told you so" factor, though you should never say it like that. ;)

While I know many AC's are moving away from the lens and working from behind a monitor, you always need to see where the camera is physically located to have a handle on your distance, etc. If you're stuck in the trunk (with a faulty monitor I might add -- something I've been running into a lot lately, but that's another discussion) you might as well be pulling focus from craft services.

There's a way to stand your ground without being a jerk (I know this is true, although I haven't figured out the 'not being a jerk' part yet). Don't confront the director about it, but bring it up to the DP (who must know this is a bad idea) and take it from there.