Headlights

Hi Everyone,

For a scene, I'm planning on shooting an empty road in the middle of the night lit only by the headlights of my car. I'm planning on fixing the camera to the dashboard and just drive around while filming. Just like David Lynch, "Lost Highway"

I will be filming in 16mm film. My questions are do you think the headlights alone provide enough light for a 500 film ? I'm a student so I get 50% off fuji stock, which do you recommend, Eterna500 or Reala 500D ?

Thanks!

SMR

• Premium Member
do you think the headlights alone provide enough light for a 500 film ?

Probably, depending on the look you want. Check the lights with a meter, shoot some digital stills. Chances are you'll have stuff in the center of the beam and close up that'll burn out, while most of the frame blocks up. Film will give you more shadow detail than the test stills, but headlights are so spotty that the region where you'll have that detail will be small.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Shoot a test with a digital still camera at your ASA and shutter speed and see what you get. I'd use 500T over 500D anyday -- it's much sharper and finer-grained.

But odds are high that the real headlights won't quite give you enough unless you use T/1.4 lenses or are driving through close brushes or something, not a blacktop highway.

Definitely use the Eterna. The Reala may be too grainy for this and I am assuming that your headlights are Halogens like most. So the Eterna will be the best choice. In terms of exposure, if you like the look, shoot at a slower frame rate in order to get some sort of usable image. If you shoot really slow, like 9fps or less, then drive slower to minimize motion blur. If you are finishing on video, a good telecine house can convert any frame rate to 30fps and have the speed be normal. It can be done. I see several tests in your future.