Eyes Wide Shut and push processing

Kevin Curtin

Hey guys, I had a quick question for all you. I was recently reading up on Eyes Wide Shut after watching the film again for some inspiration (I'm shooting a film coming up and I wanted to watch the scene when they go to Sydney Pollack's party) about how to use practicals to light a 'party' scene. Anyways, I read that Kubrick and his DP (blanking on the name) pushed the film in order to make the lighting look more natural. I know pushing it makes it more grainy and contrasty, but does that in turn make it more natural? Is that simply all it means?

• Premium Member
Hey guys, I had a quick question for all you. I was recently reading up on Eyes Wide Shut after watching the film again for some inspiration (I'm shooting a film coming up and I wanted to watch the scene when they go to Sydney Pollack's party) about how to use practicals to light a 'party' scene. Anyways, I read that Kubrick and his DP (blanking on the name) pushed the film in order to make the lighting look more natural. I know pushing it makes it more grainy and contrasty, but does that in turn make it more natural? Is that simply all it means?

Here is my guess, only a guess as to why they might do it.

Perhaps the push was done for the contrast more than anything else. There were a LOT of practicals and long takes requiring 360-degree views. If left alone, the film might have been on the flat side. A push would give them a bit more contrast to make the scene look a bit richer with more fall-off to the light.