lford in Europe

• Premium Member
Ilford film is available for motion pictures in Spain.

Do you know if it is distrubuted somewhere else in europe and if it can be sent?

I´m a big fan of hp5

Has the Ilford restructuring affected the availability of their films finished in the motion picture formats?

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pr/pr_gt.html

As one of the few labs doing B&W in Benelux/France region, we see very very very little Ilford. It can be obtained here but there were some major problems with mechanical properties (35mm Arri BL camera had great trouble running it). I don't think they have keykode on their films, making modern postproduction more complicated.

They make great emulsions, but I feel that they are no longer in touch with the requirements of motion picture shooting.

We have good results with Kodak and Orwo negatives.

• Premium Member
As one of the few labs doing B&W in Benelux/France region, we see very very very little Ilford. It can be obtained here but there were some major problems with mechanical properties (35mm Arri BL camera had great trouble running it). I don't think they have keykode on their films, making modern postproduction more complicated.

They make great emulsions, but I feel that they are no longer in touch with the requirements of motion picture shooting.

We have good results with Kodak and Orwo negatives.

The Kodak B&W motion picture films are specifically developed and optimized for motion picture use, and are not simply the still films repackaged in motion picture formats:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...0.1.4.4.8&lc=en

Hi dirk,

I´m interested about Orwo film for super16mm, but i think i never saw any film done with this stock.

I´ve heard it is very low contrast. Can it be pushed keeping good results. 1 or 2 stops?

I´m most interested about un54-100asa.

Fulgenio,

All B&W films must first be sensitometrically tested and developed to a chosen gamma. We usually start at the standard gamma of 0.65 for normal exposure. Usually Kodak stocks fall right on speed and on gamma. When Orwo is developed to the same gamma they are somewhat less sensistive than their official rating, but nothing to cause problems.

So the answer is: if both Kodak and Orwo are developed to the same gamma you won't see any difference in contrast.

There is a film about to be released in France now, it is called Aaltra, shot in Super 16 B&W 7222. The director wanted extra grain and extra contrast. He got it.

The blow up was via Orwo Interpositive, Orwo Duplicating Negative onto Orwo PositIve Print film.

Oh yes, the final print is in 35mm CinemaScope..