Printing lights

Pax Martins

• Premium Member
can anyone please tell me what 'printing lights' means and how it is done?

Short form, it is a way to express the exposure that the lab whould use to print your negative on a B&H Printer. Selecting the right "lights" is called "Timing" The lights are expressed as a whole number for each of the three printing colours. like 25 25 25.

Short form, it is a way to express the exposure that the lab would use to print your negative on a B&H Printer. Selecting the right "lights" is called "Timing" The lights are expressed as a whole number for each of the three printing colours. like 25 25 25.

The numbers are obtained from a VCA, Video colour Analyser, and the numbers are fed to the printing machine by a punch tape, floppy disc or by a direct computer link. The three numbers send signals to the light valves in the lamp house telling them how much to open. You will find details of punch tapes and B&H lamp house on my website. http://www.brianpritchard.com/Model%20C.htm and http://www.brianpritchard.com/Punch%20Tape.htm

I did post one of these links a week or so ago and apologise for doing it again.

A well exposed negative should print at around 25 - 25 -25 although many labs have a setup that is slightly different from this.

Brian

Congratulations!!! that web site looks very nice.....

i just had a look on it and seems very interesting, i will have some questions for you...

Thanks for the kind compliments. I am always happy to help, I have been in the motion picture business for 45 years so if I don't know the answer I can usually find someone who does.

Brian