Best exposure and colour

axela dardan

My director recently bought a HVX200 and I am currently acknowledging the camera. We haven't got the P2 card so for a while we will shoot DV on tape, nevertheless it looks really good from what Ive seen.

First of all, Ive tried a serious number of combinations of scene files and still after various tests I am quite confused of how to get the best exposure and colour. Are there any tutorials on setting up scene files of smth like that?...

And second of all, Im interested in buying a Sekonic L758DR, that has the abbility to load a digital cameras' profile, so you could work at the right parameters. Now since the HVX is a digital camera and its responce to lighting isn't a linear function, unfortunately -I mean its sensistivity to light isn't the same under different colour temperatures or under different lighting conditions-, how could I load the hvx profile into this light meter, or better yet, how could i establish it?

Has anyone actually tested these two together? Or have you profiled the camera in sensitivity terms according to different standard lighting conditins?

• Premium Member

When I shoot the HVX, I normally rate is @ 250 on my meter, though I've heard it rates 320. Then I light by eye and the monitor. I only use the meter for determining illumination before I have the camera up, or when I need a spot reading or something. Generally, with video, you can set exposure without a meter. (Hell, even with film I often find myself "guessing" the right stop before I get a meter reading)

As for scene file stuff, check out DVX user. Thats where, IIRC, I went to get a brief overview of using them.

Why even deal with a light meter????? Get yourself a good monitor (no, the stock LCD is not good enough) and use the zebra function to get the exposure where you want it.

Also, get Barry Green's HVX book. It comes with a CD of 16 scene files and tells you how to change the many parameters of this camera.