vma dp's out

Ram Shani

hi

i just read that they cancel this year the "best cinematography" in VMA

don't know way ???

cinematography is the hart of music videos the way the artist look the style fashion

but MTV think its not important

choreography -yes

editing-yes

directing-yes

why?????

it make me angry

• Premium Member

so i only tuned in for a moment, but long enough to see a category for "quadruple threat" this includes someone who participates in any four of the following:

singing

dancing

acting

social activism

clothing line

ceo/businessman

mogul

i think justin timberlake won. apparently he has a clothing line.

the state of entertainment is really in dire straits. can't wait for the "leaked sex tape" award.

i just read that they cancel this year the "best cinematography" in VMA

cinematography is the hart of music videos the way the artist look the style fashion

I thought it was the music.

But what do I know,

The first thing that comes to mind when I see VMA is Virginia Military Academy.

• Premium Member

Was it really that big an honor to be the best looking movie as chosen by a bunch of voting 16 year olds that watch MTV? <_<

They probably would have chosen Transformers because the DP made the robots look soooooooo cool! :rolleyes:

• Premium Member
Was it really that big an honor to be the best looking movie as chosen by a bunch of voting 16 year olds that watch MTV? <_<

They probably would have chosen Transformers because the DP made the robots look soooooooo cool! :rolleyes:

This is the awards show for music videos, not the MTV movie awards. The technical categories are voted by music industry folks, not by viewers.

The fact that they dropped this category actually really sucks, as it was the highest profile award that I know of for music video cinematography.

• Premium Member
This is the awards show for music videos, not the MTV movie awards. The technical categories are voted by music industry folks, not by viewers.

The fact that they dropped this category actually really sucks, as it was the highest profile award that I know of for music video cinematography.

Oh, I thought they were the same thing. That is unfortunate, if they're voted on by professionals. Cinematography in music videos is very often formative for the future of narrative cinematography.

I read an article in the paper today, talking about how the music industry is adapting to the YouTube/vlogging craze by downsizing their music video production values. Who needs fancy sets and professional cinematographers when you're playing to a 320x240 screen beside skateboarding dogs?

• Premium Member

though, in defense, those robots did look pretty cool! :P can you light a 25 foot tall running/flying/battling robot? do you know how much coffee those things require in the morning?

• Premium Member
I thought it was interesting when Gweneth Paltrow at last year's Oscars, prior to announcing the nominees for Best Cinematography, remarked "anyone with a cameraphone can be a cinematographer." Wow, thanks Gwen. That's special.

That's really a shame. Surel, of all people, a leading lady should appreciate what a good DP does for her.

Not long ago I watched a doc about Greta Garbo and they talked a good bit about how after a particular one of her movies she requested that cameraman for the rest of her career. The doc made it sound like that was quite routine. Ms. Garbo knew.

• Premium Member

I would agree it's a shame MTV has decided to eliminate the Best Cinematography in a music video award [as well as Best Art Direction in a music video category] especially when you look at the list of stellar cinematographers whose work won them an MTV Music Video Award a.k.a "Moonman"

Year Cinematographer -Song - (Artist)

2006- Robbie Ryan- You're Beautiful (James Blunt)

2005- Samuel Bayer - Boulevard of Broken Dreams (Green Day)

2004- Juan Baca-Asay -99 Problems - (Jay Z)

2003 -Jean-Yves Escoffier Hurt (Johnny Cash)

2002 -Brad Rushing We Are All Made of Stars (Moby)

2001 -Lance Accord Weapon of Choice (Fatboy Slim)

2000- Jeff Cronenweth Do Something (Macy Gray)

1999- Martin Coppen- The Dope Show (Marylin Manson)

1998- Harris Savides Criminal (Fiona Apple)

1997 - Steven Keith-Roach- Virtual Insanity (Jamiroquai)

1996- Declan Quinn Tonight, Tonight (Smashing Pumpkins)

1995- Mike Trim & Gary Waller - Love is Strong (Rolling Stones)

1994 - Harris Savides - Everybody Hurts (R.E.M.)

1993 - Harris Savides - Rain (Madonna)

1992- Daniel Pearl/Mike Southon - November Rain (Guns N Roses)

1991- Rolf Kesterman -Wicked Game (Chris Isaak)

1990 - Pascal Lebegue - Vogue (Madonna)

1989- Mark Plummer- Express Yourself (Madonna)

1988 - Bill Pope- We?ll Be Together (Sting)

1987 - Mark Plummer- C?est La Vie (Robbie Nevil)

1986 - Oliver Stapleton- The Sun Always Shines on TV (a-Ha)

1985- Pascal Lebegue- The Boys of Summer (Don Henley)

1984 - Daniel Pearl Every Breath You Take (Police)

Of course, it's hard to complain about MTV dropping the category of Best Cinematography in a Music video, when the American Society of Cinematographers never had one. The ASC refuses to acknowledge and award the work of cinematographers who shoot music videos or commercials at their annual awards ceremony, whereas the Canadian Society of Cinematographers (CSC) has done so for many years now.