SR2 running at sync?

grantsmith

Hello,

I'm about to do a shoot.

Unfortunately there is no time for tests.

I'm a bit worried about the camera as we had a battery issue. I've hired some IDE's from a Digibeta with a 12v 4-pin adaptor. They seem to run the camera.

I've only tried running an empty mag for a few seconds.

What worries me is whether it is running at sync. When the camera is in standby a red led appears in the top right and dosn't dissapear when I run the camera.

It's been a while since I used the camera and I can't remember whether it changes to green or goes out when it reaches speed. Or is it fine with the red light appearing?

I think it is the 1st version of the sr2 (pre 1984). The only manual I could find (and the john fuer book) only seemed to mention the new version which has a different asynchronous setting.

ANy help is appreciated.

• Premium Member

Try this manual, it may be for the earlier SRII (It is dated January 1984). It is a big PDF so give it time to load:

Arriflex 16SRII Instruction Manual in PDF

By the way, Jon Fauer's book covers all the way back to the original Arriflex 16SR (the SR1), are you sure it doesn't cover it? You are looking at his SR book right, not his SR3 book?

-Tim

• Premium Member
You are kidding about doing a film shoot with out testing the camera... aren't you?

That's a real good way to hamper your career.

I echo this...it is most unwise to attempt to do a shot without knowing if your camera is going to sync. Just today I did a test just to ensure my camera isn't too loud (which it WAS) so I had to create a home made blimp which did the trick. It is absolutely INSANE to take on your project without making sure your camera is working properly, you have the right stock for the job, you are synced up, and ensuring your camera isn't too noisy. I guarantee you will regret it if you don't take the time to do your tests.

You can do a quick camera test with 20' of film and develop it in your sink in the time you spend reading the internet forums. I once shot a project without a prior camera test. Turns out the lens mount was off, and half the frame was out of focus on every shot. What a waste.

Edited by Robert Hughes