URSA Diamond Y-Front? Digital tapestock formats

Jacob Kramer

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if the URSA Diamond Y Front is a good telecine for getting a 16mm answer print into a usable digital format.

Also, I wasn't sure what tape stock would be best/most archival/most useful to write to: digibeta, DVcam, miniDV .... etc. My goal is to get a DVD to show people.

Any advice would be much appreciate.

Thanks,

Jacob

• Site Sponsor
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if the URSA Diamond Y Front is a good telecine for getting a 16mm answer print into a usable digital format.

Also, I wasn't sure what tape stock would be best/most archival/most useful to write to: digibeta, DVcam, miniDV .... etc. My goal is to get a DVD to show people.

Any advice would be much appreciate.

Thanks,

Jacob

A properly setup Y-Front will produce a top quality SD picture it's a great machine assuming the colorist is good...D-Beta would be best.

-Rob-

• Premium Member

Pencil out the cost of doing the answer print to SD versus taking the cut camera original to 1080p/24 HD. From that you could downconvert to a much better looking SD. If you'll need the HD for a video release, doing the SD first is a waste of money. If you do need to go that way, at least, you could use the HD quote to beat down the price on the SD.

-- J.S.