'Wish' at the London Film Festival

Matthew Day

congrats x2!

I'd love to hear how you liked working with the genesis, any problems or surprises specific to that camera?

Honestly no problems whatsoever. I should point out I wrote and directed this. The DOP was Christopher Ross (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2131733/) He'd previously shot 'London to Brighton' and had used the Genesis for second unit work on 'Atonement '. The on-set situation is exactly the same as with film only I felt a little more at ease with just letting the camera roll (great for for working with actors) and a faster work-flow in post, of course. Looks to me like a beautifully scanned 35mm neg, though the bulk of that is down to Chris who really is a huge talent.

I do enjoy the fact that it's cutting edge technology. It was funded through Film London Digital shorts scheme so shooting on a digi format was mandatory. Most of the other films in the scheme are shot on Digibeta or the equivalent - some with Varicam, etc - and I did think shooting digital was the compromise I had to make for getting the money to make it. But having used this camera I'm now a complete convert. I'll be going the digital route on my next project without a doubt. If only there were more 4k equipped cinemas out there!