Blue Streaks

Hey everybody,

I am in prep to shoot a music video, and as the director and I have been discussion the look and style, one of the things he has requested is horizontal blue streaks. In the examples he showed me, they look like a form of a controlled lens flair. What I can't figure out is if this is done in camera somehow, or if it's something in post. In the examples, it looks like it's done in camera, but I can't seem to figure out how its' done. Any ideas?

Here's a link to a music video with the type of effect I'm looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI3LjzRmbHg

Thanks!

• Premium Member

It looks to me like they shot with anamorphic lenses and had someone wave a flashlight at the lens *just* out of frame (the flares aren't coming from light sources within the frame, and look kind of "sidey"). They also could have composited in real lens flares shot against a black background. In either case they look like optical flares, and not CGI.

There are Streak filters and Blue Streak filters available for spherical lenses, but they have their limits and a few artifacts (they work best with longer focal lengths and shallow depth of field, and sometimes you can see the vertical line pattern on camera). But when used right they can look pretty cool.

We've discussed anamorphic lens flares a gazillion times here, so search the archives.

Hey everybody,

I am in prep to shoot a music video, and as the director and I have been discussion the look and style, one of the things he has requested is horizontal blue streaks. In the examples he showed me, they look like a form of a controlled lens flair. What I can't figure out is if this is done in camera somehow, or if it's something in post.

Hi Megan, I was the Steadicam Operator on the Ricardo Arjona "Quien" music video (linked below) where the Director and DP sorted out a very cool in-camera trick that achieved a streak'ish doubled imaged color effect in-camera. It was pretty amazing under all the neon lights of Las Vegas. In the video there is a little bit of post effect that will be obvious, but the rest of it...probably 95% was all in-camera.

The camera was a Sony F900R and the lens had a built-in tele-extender lever. By experimenting with the lever in the middle / halfway position we got the doubled, streaked, color effect. A little gaff tape and we were set.

The Director, Simon Brand and the DP, Brad get the credit. They worked my Steadi-butt off that night but both were great to work with and very talented.

Arjona "Quien" Video

Good luck with your project!

Robert Starling, SOC

Steadicam Owner/Operator

Steadicam | Aerial | Jib | Underwater

Las Vegas

Edited by Robert Starling

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...