New Optar Illumina's S35mm coverage glass [pre-announcement]

Emanuel A Guedes

For 3-6 months from today, that is, March/April 2008:

T1.3/18mm, T1.3/25mm, T1.3/35mm, T1.3/50mm, T1.3/85mm Optar Illumina Primes for much less than the Zeiss Primes but same Mark III concept. Same quality and equivalent design.

T3/16-64mm Optar Illumina Zoom -- same vibe.

Few months later:

T1.9/9.8mm (not fisheye)

T1.3/18mm, T1.3/25mm, T1.3/35mm, T1.3/50mm, T1.3/85mm Optar Illumina Primes for much less than the Zeiss Primes but same Mark III concept. Same quality and equivalent design.

Few months later:

T1.9/9.8mm (not fisheye)

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT. THE LENSES ARE IN DEVELOPMENT AND AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT WILL BE MADE AT A LATER DATE.

Anthony Edward

Marketing Mgr, LumaTech, Inc

Yes, this is not official. Just a pre-announcement but with your knowledge and authorization. Since three months ago that I've been in touch with Gregory Mirand. Yesterday, I had his permission in order to post THIS information, not any other. All the details were scrutinized under his supervision 'cause I wouldn't wish to read any complaint. Please, check this information with him. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Emanuel

POSTER's NOTE: I dislike to repeat myself but I should post it again now here in order to clear up any doubts.

Yes, this is not official. Just a pre-announcement but with your knowledge and authorization. Since three months ago that I've been in touch with Gregory Mirand. Yesterday, I had his permission in order to post THIS information, not any other. All the details were scrutinized under his supervision 'cause I wouldn't wish to read any complaint. Please, check this information with him. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Emanuel

POSTER's NOTE: I dislike to repeat myself but I should post it again now here in order to clear up any doubts.

THIS IS TO ADVISE THAT THE OPTAR ILLUMINA S35 LENSES ARE ONLY IN THE PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT STAGE AT THIS TIME. THE LENSES WILL BE OF THE SAME QUALITY AS CINEMATOGRAPHERS EXPECT FROM THE OPTAR ILLUMINA BRAND AND NOT THE EXACT SAME QUALITY AS ZEISS AS THIS POSTER SUGGESTS. DETAILS OF THE FOCAL LENGTHS AND DELIVERY DATES WILL BE ANNOUNCED AT A LATER DATE BY LUMATECH, INC, THE WORLD WIDE DISTRIBUTOR OF THE OPTAR ILLUMINA LENSES.

The poster suggests what could know from your company. Several times, actually. Including when the same poster had asked if could post this same information.

I can understand that you are in development stage but all that information was confirmed for someone from your side. Just for a question of courtesy I'll refrain to mention names, etc.

I must also admit that I'm very surprised that all what I could listen yesterday on phone is not so much accurate today. Just one day between.

EDIT -- Please elaborate or stand corrected.

Edited by Emanuel A Guedes

Few months later:

T1.9/9.8mm (not fisheye)

Hi

I know Optar is made in Russia, and I heard a story that after WWII the Russians transfered the Zeiss factory with the optical engineers and machinery to Russia and forced them to manufacture optics as Zeiss quality in Russia. Of course when you are forced to do something against your free will you don't get same results but was that the foundation of the Optar? I saw a set of optar S16 T1.3 and optical quality looks like Zeiss their problem is more the mechanical.

Also anybody knows if you can get them in Russia since I heard Optar has sort of an agreement that these lenses can only be sold in The USA and Optar is not allowed to sell them elsewhere.

David

• Premium Member

The Optars, which are very nice lenses, are avalible only through opptar Illumina, from Mr Mirond or Mr Edwards as far as I know. They're both great people. As for the lenses, I have a set of them for S16mm and I personally love them. I'm no expert, but, well as they say, I may not know art, but i know what i like.

I know Optar is made in Russia, and I heard a story that after WWII the Russians transfered the Zeiss factory with the optical engineers and machinery to Russia and forced them to manufacture optics as Zeiss quality in Russia. Of course when you are forced to do something against your free will you don't get same results but was that the foundation of the Optar? I saw a set of optar S16 T1.3 and optical quality looks like Zeiss their problem is more the mechanical.

Those slave optical engineers are no longer around. Later generations of Russian optical engineers are quite good at what they do. Also there is more than one optical factory in russia and the Ukraine, so they can't all be using that batch WWII vintage Zeiss machinery.

Russian anamorphics are well regarded.