sensitometery

michaelwarne

hi everyone...

hope someone helps me.. can someone plz explain things about sensitometery...i tend to get confused....can someone plz plz explain .....in a simplistic way....

another thing...how is the test carried.....where do we get the control strip from...i have lots of doubts...

i am into assisting but these jargon of sensitimetery makes me fear...i just want to know it....i hav books...but still i want someone to explain it to me...

thanks a lot

waiting for a reply

michaelwarne :D

Michael,

The lab will expose a piece of unexposed film you give them in a sensitometer. This idevice makes a controlled exposure with a stepwedge as result. After processing this wedge is plotted and the gamma, speed point, and various other data can be calculated.

This process is important in B&W processing where variations in time of development lead to a chosen gamma. Different stocks from the same manufacturer require different developing times to arrive at same gamma.

hey thanks a lot

i want to ask u a question...is cinematography more of technical or is it more to do with the feeling...a scene picturised in a certain manner....theres something in the mind which tells us...what should it look like....

is it like...once we understand exposures....or come close to understand how a certain film behaves....is it possible how we should judje...take decisions with the intutions...

thanks

mikee :D

• Premium Member
hi everyone...

hope someone helps me.. can someone plz explain things about sensitometery...i tend to get confused....can someone plz plz explain .....in a simplistic way....

another thing...how is the test carried.....where do we get the control strip from...i have lots of doubts...

i am into assisting but these jargon of sensitimetery makes me fear...i just want to know it....i hav books...but still i want someone to explain it to me...

thanks a lot

waiting for a reply

michaelwarne :D

The Kodak website has a good discussion of sensitometry and tone reproduction:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/h1/structure.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/h1/exposure.shtml