tevidon zoom

adam berk

Does anyone know anything about this Tevidon 15-150/f2 lens?

the ebay.com item number is 220156645456

Made for 1 inch video cameras by Zeiss Jena (DDR) I´d guess sometime in the 70s. Never used one and don´t know how good they are.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I already own the Zeiss Tevidon 10mm f2, and I just won on EBay the 25mm f1.4, and the 16mm f1.8. There is amazingly little information about these C-mount Tevidons, and I simply could not take the curiosity any longer. I paid a lot for the 10mm on Ebay, over $300 (at the advice of a camera/lens tech who you all know very well. But looking back I should have taken that advice with a grain of salt...since they sell brand new for around $400). Luckily, it was in mint condition. I have not shot any tests yet, but I bought a highly detailed resolution chart for just that purpose. FYI, this 10mm seems amazingly free of barrel distortion, and easily covers the Super16 frame, with apparently a bit to spare. It also appears sharp from edge to edge, which is one of the boasts on the site that sells them (doktor optics, or doctor optic, or something like that). But, that is only through the viewfinder. I wrote to the company which I just mentioned relentlessly, asking for additional specs, and if a tech there could tell me the resolution in lp/mm. They were not helpful at all.

Well, I will soon have a complete set. My ACL is getting prepped for production, so by the time I get it back, the lenses will have arrived.

I am pretty new here, but I will do my best to contribute by posting my results on these highly unknown (but perhaps excellent lenses)....as soon as I have solid results. I will attempt to post clips after some of the footage is transfered.

Oh, some posts I have read on different forums, confirm the claim that these are very sharp lenses. But then, conflicting information is everywhere. We shall see soon enough.

If anyone has any info they would like to add, please do. These might make a better alternative to using C-mount Switar lenses on various C-mount cameras, like the Eclair ACL.

(I'll leave this same message on a few other threads which are discussing the Tevidons)

• 3 months later...
  • Site Sponsor

I bought a 1" 14-140 TV zoom made by Tamron (yes I know) it is a big very high quality zoom which was adapted to Aaton mount and colimated. The front element is 88mm and it is a f1.9 (t2.1) through the zoom range. I have shot some stuff with it ans plan to do a 16>35 blowup test (both optical and scan) soon. From what I have seen in telecine so far I feel the lens at least matches the zeiss 12-120 optex zooms I have rented in the past. I paid something like $500.00 for it.

1" studio cameras were not cheap so I think allot of the optics that were made for them were of suitable high quality. I had a Cannon 15-150 f2.8 which looked like another great 1" lens but it got lost along the way... :(

I don't personally see going into debt for personal kit as a good idea especially with such good new kit available at the rental house.... so finding glass like this is great..

-Rob-

I know Zeiss Jena has a tremendous reputation among older cameramen. I met one a couple of years ago who owned a Jena Tevidon prime-lens kit and a Jena zoom, which he used on his S-16 ACL. He wholeheartedly recommended buying ANY well-kept Zeiss Jena lens on the spot, were I to find one. I have never used any but I have seen footage shot with Jena's and they look top notch to me.