the black sheep / cinematography reel

Hello everyone!

We've just finished editing our new reel, made it shorter, added a couple of projects. It's a mix of music videos, commercials and narrative. Hope you'll like it, comments are more than welcome (jobs offers too ;-). If you have any questions, we'll be pleased to answer.

dpcaps.jpg

the black sheep / cinematography reel

Take care,

cheers,

Olivier Vanaschen & Olan Bowland

Wow great stuff! I remember seeing Marla years ago and being very very impressed. Everything looks great, that's why I hate to say that I think it's still a bit long for a reel. (But my reel is too long aswell, so who am I to say anything?)

Can you tell me what formats you used? Is that all digital or is there some film in there?

Again,.. great reel! I'm definitely a fan of your work!

- Greg

Edited by Greg Johnson

Hello!

Sorry for the late answer, my ISP did cut my internet connection for a couple of days. Thanks a lot for the messages!!!

I know it's still a bit long... I'm always afraid that if I make it faster, it gets to fast... I've the feeling that the more projects we'll have shot, the shorter the reel is going to be.

It's all shot on video except the few film burns you see on some projects, they were from a couple of 16mm 100ft rolls we shot for fun (yeah, that's also all we can afford, it's all very low budget).

Most of it has been shot with a PAL Sony FX1 with our homemade 35mm adapter. The first b/w project with the girl's portrait was shot with a Canon XL2 + Letus35. Marla was shot on a Canon XM2 and a very basic 35mm adapter. One of the projects (blindfolded girl, neon tubes in tree) was shot with a Canon H1 + P+S Mini35, another (guy in train, beach sequence) on a FX1 + Movietube. The last project in color is our feature, shot on FX1 + SGPro adapter (posted "in production")

I was the colorist on all these projects. I use After Effects, basic tools, almost no plugin except DFT 55mm. It works well but it's quite slow, render times are huge.

Olivier

Hello!

Sorry for the late answer, my ISP did cut my internet connection for a couple of days. Thanks a lot for the messages!!!

I know it's still a bit long... I'm always afraid that if I make it faster, it gets to fast... I've the feeling that the more projects we'll have shot, the shorter the reel is going to be.

It's all shot on video except the few film burns you see on some projects, they were from a couple of 16mm 100ft rolls we shot for fun (yeah, that's also all we can afford, it's all very low budget).

Most of it has been shot with a PAL Sony FX1 with our homemade 35mm adapter. The first b/w project with the girl's portrait was shot with a Canon XL2 + Letus35. Marla was shot on a Canon XM2 and a very basic 35mm adapter. One of the projects (blindfolded girl, neon tubes in tree) was shot with a Canon H1 + P+S Mini35, another (guy in train, beach sequence) on a FX1 + Movietube. The last project in color is our feature, shot on FX1 + SGPro adapter (posted "in production")

I was the colorist on all these projects. I use After Effects, basic tools, almost no plugin except DFT 55mm. It works well but it's quite slow, render times are huge.

Olivier

Wow, I must say you are extremely good at utilizing what you have. I mean this stuff looks much much better than what you would expect form these particular cameras and After Effects as color tool. Great job man.

Edited by Emile Rafael

• 3 weeks later...