Brightness/Contrast Keyframes - Please Help a Noobie

Doug Zajaczkowski

Hey all,

I've done most of my videos on FCP and cheap PC editors but recently got Premiere CS3 for my home PC and I'm cutting my first project on it. I would like to use keyframes (or any other viable method) to raise the brightness/contrast linearly from a few seconds into a clip until it becomes almost entirely white at it's junction with the next clip, which will start at a raised brightness/contrast and slide back down to normal exposure. I do not want to simply fade to white using the standard "Dip to White" transition but essentially I want the effect to be similar to that fade, just more organic.

Here I have drawn a diagram of the effect I want with standard characters: "_/\_"

Also, here's a picture of my timeline:

problem.jpg

And here's a computer augmented image of what the timeline might look like when edited for the effect I aspire to create:

solution.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

• Premium Member

Hi Doug, you could try this

1. On the timeline highlight Fluorescents2.avi and knife/slice this clip where you want your effect to start from

2. Highlight this segment and drop the effect 'brigthness/contrast' onto it

3. On the first frame of the segment click a new 'keyframe' in the effects control panel

4. Go to the last frame of the segment and click a new 'keyframe' and then play with the contrast setting in the effects control panel until you have the contrast you want

For the transition on the next clip do the same but have the altered contrast keyframe at the start of the clip and the unaltered keyframe at the end of the effect

Hope this might help

O, you might want to use an aiff file for the music. mp3's sometimes cause audio problems in videos, and even if they don't they sound like crap if you're planning on playing the vid on good speakers... the conversion to mp3, then back to an uncompressed format that isn't even the native for the original sample rate (44.1 music --> mp3 ---> 48 khz audio) will create weird artifacts in the sound.