Is anyone dressing as thier favorite movie charature for Halloween?

James Steven Beverly

The Dark Festival is nearly upon us and our family has a recent tradition of going somewhat all out for All Hallows Eve and I tend to end up as one of my favorite movie character, I love seeing the kids light up when they see one of their movie icons in the flesh...more or less. I've been Spiderman, Cheebacca and This year, being a GREAT admirer of Johnny Depp, it's Captain Jack Sparrow in full regalia alone with voice and mannerisms, which should be a BLAST to do. (As you MIGHT have guessed, being an actor, Halloween is one of my favorite holidays.) So what about you? Who's YOUR alter ego gonna be this year? ( Oh I said movie characters so as to tie it into cinematography BUT if you're doing something un-movie like....IIIII won't tell anyone! Promise!) :ph34r:

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member
The Dark Festival is nearly upon us and our family has a recent tradition of going somewhat all out for All Hallows Eve and I tend to end up as one of my favorite movie character, I love seeing the kids light up when they see one of their movie icons in the flesh...more or less. I've been Spiderman, Cheebacca and This year, being a GREAT admirer of Johnny Depp, it's Captain Jack Sparrow in full regalia alone with voice and mannerisms, which should be a BLAST to do. (As you MIGHT have guessed, being an actor, Halloween is one of my favorite holidays.) So what about you? Who's YOUR alter ego gonna be this year? ( Oh I said movie characters so as to tie it into cinematography BUT if you're doing something un-movie like....IIIII won't tell anyone! Promise!) :ph34r:

PLEASE grab a miniDV camera and do a "Making of Jack Sparrow" documentary!

An ex and I once made Conehead costumes and won my favorite bar's Holloween costume contest going up against some really stiff competition - including a dynamite mummy. After we won, I proceeded to consume the winnings - switching instantly from my usual cheap draft beer to Lowenbrau Dark.

I do myself up as "DOC" in the "Back to the Future" series on many Holloween's (I'm a bit (actually a bunch) short for the part but art for art's sake, etc.). I set up a bunch of my test equipment on a cart in the entrance hall of the house with scopes and spectrum analyzers running and various audio generators hooked up to speakers making whoop whoop sounds, etc. When the trick or treaters come to the door I answer with a mad scientist's "Yes? May I Help You?". The best reaction is the little kids who often take one look and proceed to hide themselves behind mommy's legs.

My wife is from a 100% Hungarian family in Detroit, all four grandparents came off the boat from Hungary. She's quite "Transylvanian" at this time of year, after all that's her heritage. We hang a giant print of Bela Lugosy as the "COUNT" over the mantle, I light it with an S4, there are little bats hung around the house, etc.

Last year my wife were going to dress up as Evie (Natalie Portman) and V for Vendetta.

I was going to shave my head and wear an orange institutional suit thing as Evie, and she was gonna be V :)

Alas, it never happened :(

Dude...that is like SOOOOO kinky.....I LOVE IT :D Maybe you could get the wife to let you shave her head, just tell her, she'd look like the chick from the first Star Trek movie.....OR like Natalie Portman, either one should work :rolleyes: I'm trying to get my girlfriend to dress like Keira Knightley's character Elizabeth Swann ...or a sexy pirate. (I kinda actually prefer the sexy pirate, but I'll take whatever I can finagle out of her.) :ph34r:

I built a prop deck gun (cannon) for our little "Black Peril" set today. It's coming out good. I had an old engine shipping pallet that I used as the base, some 10 & 12' boards that I had from some pallet racks we weren't using and a thick, big cardboard shipping tube and went from there. Tomorrow I'll paint and detail it and work on the ship's wheel and get a "Jolly Rodger". This should be cool, almost like doing a play (not a movie cus the stuff ain't THAT detailed...well maybe for a looooong shot.). I thought about doing a "making of" video as Hal requested, but this stuff is taking too long to do WITHOUT worrying about running camera as well. I'll try and get some stills though. :ph34r:

My prop cannon now blows out smoke and has a FX box generated explosion sound effect. I finish the ship's helm which looks terrific and am NOW working on Davy Jones chest. We're gonna set some theatrical lights to give the set a warm amber glow and run the music from Dead Man's Chest and At World's End. (couldn't find Curse of the Black Peril) This should be the best POTC outside of Disneyland :D