Lake of Fire

• Premium Member

I just saw "Lake of Fire." Very powerful and beautifully shot, IMHO. But there were some effects that I'm curious about.

First, the DOF was extremely shallow. But every now and then it would widen considerably for about half a second and then go back to very shallow. It almost looked like auto-focus going in, out and back into focus, but that wasn't what was happening. I'm also wondering if the DOF shallowness was enhanced in post production or solely resulted from camera, lens, lighting and settings choices.

Second, there was a noticeable amount of grain in some shots. But it didn't look natural for film or video, but rather an effect. Perhaps it was from a vibrating 35mm adapter, but I really have no idea.

Third, there were a lot of quick zooms in and out. (I found these pretty distracting to be honest.) I'm wondering if they were done while shooting or in post. They were so consistent in terms of speed and magnification that I'd venture to say that they were done in post production. But I couldn't see any loss in resolution, so again, I'm asking more trained and experienced eyes to comment ;).

Any one else see this film and care to comment? Thanks!

• 9 months later...

10-12 years???

I am surprised they kicked him off from editing American history X. I met the marketing lady for the film at a festival and she said to me that he completely sabotaged the film, in her own words.

I personally think the man's a genious. American history X is a work of art.