Favorite set bag / ditty bag?

I was thinking of getting this one for EVERYTHING ELSE that I bring on a shoot: http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-Brand-06...157&sr=1-19

Do you know if this bag has a top to it? It looks like in the picture it has a zipper all the way around the top but I don't see anything about a top being included. An AC I just worked with had a big portabrace bag that was great (I love portabrace), but considering they list for $200 and this bag is $40, I can't really spend that much extra for nothing more in reality.

Matthew

That's a "doctor" bag -- the zipper closes the bag from one end to the other, which reduces the space when closed. I have a similar bag from CE/Harrison, and while its great I have to make sure not to overload it or it just won't shut. In my opinion, these bags make great set bags (as in: what you need next to camera) as opposed to something larger, padded and more sturdy (like the portabrace or *shudder* cinebag) for all your breakables, like viewfinder extensions and liquor bottles.

That's a "doctor" bag -- the zipper closes the bag from one end to the other, which reduces the space when closed. I have a similar bag from CE/Harrison, and while its great I have to make sure not to overload it or it just won't shut. In my opinion, these bags make great set bags (as in: what you need next to camera) as opposed to something larger, padded and more sturdy (like the portabrace or *shudder* cinebag) for all your breakables, like viewfinder extensions and liquor bottles.

Thanks for that info. I now see what you are talking about. It seems like that might be okay, but I really rather have a bag more like the portabrace bags. I did find this bag (http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D6100-Heavy-Ballistic-Nylon/dp/B000051WT0/ref=pd_cp_hi_3?pf_rd_p=413863601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0012QRXWO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Y0BJJ3SE4261G2Q5APG) What I'd like to do is take the shoulder strap and sling over the handles on my magliner so I can keep the bag with the camera cart. I think this bag (though slightly smaller) will work better than the boss bag.

What do you think?

Matthew

For large tote / ditty bags I really like the Harrison Ditty / Totes with the zippered tops; available through film tools for about $80. I'm using mine more and more for odd sized loose items but it's obviously not an "organizer bag" if that is what you want. It also has loops to hang from the handles on my Backstage Steadicam Magliner cart.

Robert Starling, SOC

Steadicam Owner Operator

Those Harrison totes are pretty great. I was lucky enough to find a "military surplus" -like version at I. Goldberg, an army/navy store in Philly. They're a little smaller than The Harrisons, but have 4 pockets inside and outside for all sorts of good stuff, and fully padded. $15 each. I buy a couple every time I'm over there, because ya just can't have enough storage space!

• 4 weeks later...