Overhung light/ camera

Jack Brandhorst

Hey folks,

Is there a stand out there that can double as a light stand and camera mount. I wan't to rent a stationary stand that I can use to overhang a Fresnel as a down light but would also, in the interest of saving money use the same arm to hold my 2/3" DVCAM. Does such a stand and assembly exist. The Camera lens needs to point straight down prpendicular w/ the ground for a static overhead shot. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks;

jack

http://www.modernstudio.com/newproducts.html

The DIGITAL CAMERA 5/8" STARTER is an option.

In the interest of saving money you could also clamp a tripod to the gobo arm of a c-stand. The c-stand (or combo stand??) quickly becomes a 20+ foot tripod....run a video cable down to the ground and you can see what you're shooting.

• Premium Member

I'd rig a goal post around 2 light stands with baby pin tops (or even 2 senior stands with senior to baby pin adapters in them), 2 pipe clamps with baby receivers, and piece of pipe long enough to keep the stands out of frame. That would be sturdy, stabile, and everything being used would be performing its designed function.

How would I mount the camera to the pipe (goal post

0?>

In our case we used part of a car mount, but you could do the same thing with a metal plate and use a couple of U bolts to attach the plate to the pipe. The camera's tripod plate is screwed onto the metal plate before you attach it to the pipe (make sure you have clearance for the nut head and the pipe). You have to make sure that whatever is clamping the pipe to the stands at either end is tight enough to prevent the pipe from rotating when the camera is mounted.

In our case we used part of a car mount, but you could do the same thing with a metal plate and use a couple of U bolts to attach the plate to the pipe. The camera's tripod plate is screwed onto the metal plate before you attach it to the pipe (make sure you have clearance for the nut head and the pipe). You have to make sure that whatever is clamping the pipe to the stands at either end is tight enough to prevent the pipe from rotating when the camera is mounted.

thx thats very helpful