Lighting "The Island"

Bugs Haller

I caught The Island on Cable a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised. I am a sucker for Scarlett Johansson though!

How did they light faces in that film? I though it was fantastic. I thought it seemed to break some rules (i.e. long hard shadows on faces) even though there are no rules.

It was almost as if they were using hard fresnels and then blasting the actors in the eyes. But then how could they keep their eyes open.

Anyone got the scoop on this?

A hard bright light in an actor's face isn't necessarily super intense -- depends on the ASA of the stock and the f-stop you are shooting at. You could get a bright key light out of a 650w Tweenie depending on various factors.

You're right. It just looks that way.

I just don't think I've ever seen an example like how he lit people's eyes in that film. So vivid with so much contrast. It seemed like the DP didn't use fill half the time.

I liked it but I guess a lot of people didn't like the movie.

They use Lite Panels, (Http://www.litepanels.com) I was in there getting one of mine fixed the other day and read a flyer that had an interview with the cinematographer. They call them "Holy hand grenades" for some unknown reason, but the hand held Lite Panels are great LED lights that work great for what you're trying to do.

They use Lite Panels, (Http://www.litepanels.com)...

Only for a select number of scenes though, it seems: www.cameraguild.com/magazine/stoo0705.htm

There's another good arcticle :)

The look Bugs is talking about isn't too different from Bay's past films with other DP's, IMO. He generally likes high contrast images. Hot keys and deep shadows. But I've been interested to see "Smokin' Aces", shot by Mauro Fiore, where it really looks like he did some extreme lighting.

They use Lite Panels, (Http://www.litepanels.com) I was in there getting one of mine fixed the other day and read a flyer that had an interview with the cinematographer. They call them "Holy hand grenades" for some unknown reason, but the hand held Lite Panels are great LED lights that work great for what you're trying to do.

These look like great sources... never seen them before.

Thanks for the info.